Best supported video card

Hi,
I need to buy a video card, but have no idea about what.

budget around USD $100-150$,
around 2 GB VRAM

Very important:
takes only 1 slot ( I do not have space on the motherboard for a thick one)
and have the best compatibility with linux

Mostly use for video editing (game are secondary, but will be a plus)

any suggestions ?

Thanks for reading

1 Like

suggestion:
Nvidia GT 640 1GB, one slot, VGA, DVI, HDMI outputs, 384 cuda cores, did not have any issue with linux.

Around $60 on eBay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nvidia-Galaxy-Geforce-Gt640-1GB-Graphics-Card/263617171433?hash=item3d60cecfe9:g:378AAOSwJWla18zr

@pavlos_kairis it’s a bit short in ram
Any other suggestions?
Thank you

search on amazon for ‘single slot graphics card 2GB’
I found GT 710 and GT 730, and GT 1030

1 Like

Thanks @pavlos_kairis

No suggestions on the AMD side?

I would not use amd with linux for now. Maybe it will be better in the future, since they change the course to amdgpu&amdgpu pro. But for now - better use nvidia.

1 Like

@brokoli Oh OK, thanks for your advice.

:+1: :joy:

I would not support a manufacture whose attitude towards open source is probably as good as the attitude of Google towards privacy. If you decide to buy a nvidia video card you are actually forced to install the closed source drivers of nvidia concerning the lower performance of the free nouveau driver.

AMD is developing their open source drivers on their own in contrast to nvidia. As far as I know most AMD graphics cards are working out of the box with the open source AMDGPU driver. Many new open source AMD drivers are lately included in the kernel.

Mickey :relaxed:

1 Like

Yep i saw the original video a year ago (see video below it’s around an hour lengh from 2012).
I recommend watching from 38:51 to ~ 40:40 :joy:

The full interview about Nvidia problem starts at 48:14 (just to put back in the context)

To get back on track that’s (patially) why i was asking about AMD, i also read a lot of comment across forum where people got problems with Nvidia, often after just regular updates…

But this video is from 2012, did the context changes with Nvidia? (1:00:30 on the video)

Does the same thing happen with AMD?
If not, wich one do you recommend?

Do you know other brand names which have no problem with Linux/Ubuntu?

Nvidia is still not working together with the nouveau development team. Lately a developer of Nvidia left the nouveau team. They are not providing the firmware and the documentation, which is essentially important to develop drivers for this video card, either very late or not at all.

I think AMD will be the future for Linux video cards. Kernel 4.15 e.g. includes drivers for AMD RX Vega 56 and 64. I don’t have a AMD video card but perhaps I am going to buy a AMD Radeon RX 550. The power is definitely enough for me but you could go up to an RX 580 or the older ones like RX 480.

Mickey :slight_smile:

At some point you are right. But i can still install proprietary driver for old nvidia card and take maximum performance out of it. And what happened to those who had an old amd card and was using catalyst driver? - they just do not have good enough video driver now.