BleachBit missing menu entry when installed in Boutique

I noticed a difference when installing BleachBit using Software Boutique and using Synaptic

• Software boutique install results in a single menu entry BleachBit (as root)
  • Synaptic install results in two menu entries - BleachBit and BleachBit (as root)

To me the Software Boutique install single entry is missing a key component - that of normal user where much of the benefit of BB lies

one can still launch BleachBit from command line as a normal user

2 Likes

Hm, that’s strange. :confused: I can’t reproduce this. I presume you mean the standard “Applications, Places, System” menu?

Technically, there should be no difference with how it installs. Both entries have always appeared in the menu.

Does it appear after reloading the panels?

mate-panel --replace

What about a guest session? Does a fresh session show both entries?

I presume you mean the standard “Applications, Places, System” menu?

#####Yes

Does it appear after reloading the panels?

#####I’ll purge bleachbit in the virtual instance and document my steps carefully … I didn’t try replacing panels not a reboot … I simply noticed the missing entry and reinstalled using Synaptic

Steps taken to duplicate the symptoms

sudo apt purge Bleachbit
reboot
install bb using software boutique
App>System tools>only root bb entry
mate-panel --replace
results in both entries, cursor not returned, ctrl c to kill resulted in no panel
reboot resulted in both bb entries in menu
sudo apt purge bleachbit
logout - login as another user
install bb using software boutique *
App>System tools>only root bb entry
mate-panel --replace
results in both entries, cursor not returned, ctrl c to kill resulted in no panel

*used administrator password when prompted

There is something unique with my system and how Software Boutique acts [quite possible because this is in a Virtual Box environment]
#####updated
not related to virtualization - symptoms duplicated in Dell Laptop

Sounds like a “refresh” issue going on. The menu may be updating once but not twice during installation. As I say, I cannot reproduce this.

You could see if this still happens by upgrading to MATE 1.14 in case your system is using the stable MATE 1.12 that comes with Xenial 16.04.

Tip: A reboot isn’t essential. Running the command via ALT+F2 would have saved you running it (then killing it) in a terminal.

Sounds like the Bleachbit package is missing triggers for some of the desktop files to me.

The symptoms are present in default UM install, and not in MATE 1.14
Steps taken for test also in a virtual environment

sudo apt update & upgrade
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-mate-dev/xenial-mate
sudo apt update
sudo apt dist-upgrade
reboot
install BB using Software Boutique

Both BB entries present in Applications>System Tools menu