Blender game is really rather good

I’ve been fiddling around with Blender for a few months. I noticed it has its own game engine included.

I happen to have just bought a house to renovate. So, I thought it might be quite useful to try and build the house in blender and then run it in the game engine to be able to navigate it in real time with various alterations/decoration schemes.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I have found it to be pretty impressive. It even allows for real time shadow casting.

Below is a vid of my initial work on it.

1 Like

What does this have to do with Ubuntu Mate ?

1 Like

Nothing other than I use UM, I use Blender, Blender works really well in UM and all of these things, taken together, is what makes Linux so great. So, I guess I thought I’d just share my enthusiasm for this particular program in case anyone else on here fancied having a go with it.

3 Likes

I've been thinking about it for a while Steve but I'm a lazy git!. :smiley:

Merry Crimbo!.

1 Like

Merry Christmas to you too Wolfman…:slight_smile:

1 Like

By the way the graphics are realy good !

@stevecook172001 You’ll find SweetHome 3D in Ubuntu MATE Welcome. I used this to plan the furniture layout for a house move, design the interior of a barge for my in-laws and my father in-law used it to design an huge rebuild of their property. Take a look, it’s pretty great :slight_smile:

Yep, I’ve got it installed…:smile:

It’s an excellent good program I agree. I guess I personally prefer using Blender, though, because it has many more advanced lighting and rendering features (which are, of course, completely unnecessary for 99% of user’s needs). Also, it has the real time navigation/interaction via the game engine. Again, though, this is not a feature anyone but a inveterate nerd is going to need

However, given that I am an inveterate nerd who has already invested a large portion of time into Blender, I am going to probably stick with it.