Block autoplay of videos

I am trying to block all sites of the auto playing of videos.

I have Shockwave Flash set to “ask to activate.”

It works on most sites, but not on abcnews.go.com.

Is there a way to get it to work at that site ?

Hi @fixit7,

according to the link below, you did the right thing, I assume you are using FireFox and have you also tried Google Chrome?:

Disabling shockwave flash will only work if the vids are shockwave. What browser are you using and what version? Can’t give you much with what you said so far.

I am using Seamonkey 2.46.

I do not care for Google Chrome.

Did you try looking for any addons? “video block” in the addons page gives you one option:

That probably wont do what you want, because it seems like you want magic. only play the videos you want, when you want them/click them. you can disable/enable things as much as you want, and if you want to go through that then go for it. I’d use privacy badger and adblock, and set the sliders to what I could live with.

only going to block shockwave if the videos are shockwave. not html5 videos, mp4s in a player, etc.

Thanks jake19.

I found the answer.

You hover your mouse pointer over the right lower corner of the video.

Then right click the symbol that looks like a gear and then select off for autoplay.

really? because that’s not an answer, all your doing is telling that 1 video on that 1 website not to auto play. do you really understand what your asking?

Of course it’s an answer.

It solved my problem and helps others who do not want the auto playing of videos on certain websites.

Hi @fixit7,

what happens when you clear your browser cache (using Bleachbit or other system cleaning tool), is the setting still in place?. :smiley:

so your ‘solution’ to automatically stop videos from playing is to manually stop them? wow…good thinking.

all your doing is stopping that one video with a mouse-click. almost like your pressing the STOP button. your post was about blocking autoplay…and having to mouse click something is NOT doing anything automatic.

@wolfman: nope, it wont be.

1 Like

I am not interested in clearing the browser cache.

so your ‘solution’ wont work for anyone who uses the browser in incognito mode, or who has things set to automatically flush the browser on exit. and will only work for one video on one website.

Thanks for editing your post :slight_smile: