Bluetooth doesn't display pin code for pairing

Hi. I’m running Ubuntu MATE 16.04. Mostly Intel hardware here. Since the bluetooth utility doesn’t display the code, I cannot pair with devices. It fails. I once had installed a package that added that functionality, but I can’t find it/its name anymore. All I can do with bluetooth now is receive files from my phone which is marked as trusted. Everything worked fine in Ubuntu 16.04 (Unity) and it still does in Solus.

1 Like

Hi @cyber-doug

Thanks for posting that issue! I’ve exactely the same Problem with UM 16.04 on my Think Pad. On UM 14.04, which I used before, I could connect my Android device without problems.

Hi. We need to report on the bug tracker then

1 Like

@cyber-doug
Can you do this in terminal:

gsettings set org.blueman.general notification-daemon false 

delete all your paring , restart PC and then try to pair after that .

1 Like

Hi @IvCHo

Thanks a lot! :raised_hands:

Your hint brought the solution for my problem! If it worked for @cyber-doug as well, we can check the thread as solved.

The thing is that ubuntu uses NotifyOSD wich are non-interactive bubbles . Blueman uses NotificationDaemon by gnome wich has interactive bubbles . Since NotifyOSD can’t handle the interactive bubbles that Blueman sends it does not display anything . So with the command I gave you switches notification support to off and falls back to dialog window for confirmation . If you wan’t to use the notification mod you have to install notification-daemon , remove NotifyOSD and enable the option for blueman.

1 Like

Much thanks! :smile:

1 Like

UPDATE: I just noticed that the cause of this problem is the notification theme. If you change from the default notification theme, PIN codes/prompts for bluetooth will no longer appear. There’s no need to use the workaround.

2 Likes

My bluetooth does not detect active devices around. I can see it searching, but it doesn’t detect even my cellphone!
blueman-applet 2.0.4
Please help!

Thanks

Jorge

First create a new topic and send me a link in p.m