Boot Failure AMD-Vi hang on Starting Light Display Manager

I cannot boot into Ubuntu Mate. I really really want to keep using but I keep running into this show stopper of an issue in 15.10 beta(s). I think it is partially caused by a conflict between an kernel update and use of proprietary drivers.

Attached are screen shots of boot errors.

AMD-Vi: Event logged

xhci_hcd

Starting Light Display Manager...

This is when I either just this message or a command prompt blinking and the screen flickers on and off.

What can I do to resolve this besides install 15.10 beta 2 and never update anything?

This could be a problem with the new kernel. Have you tried using previous kernel?

Mate comes with the package dkms and should build the kernel to your driver. What graphic card and driver do you have?

Is this a fresh install that gives trouble from the start?

Or is the trouble after the first update/upgrade?

In the second screenshot xhci-hcd shows a fail, but this is a usb controller module. And I have to guess (do not know for sure) it would not stop a boot.

Your last screenshot shows no fails, all ok.

Have you tried going to recovery mode at boot?

Another option…
At boot, can you go to console (Ctrl + Alt + F2)?

If you can get to console, you can try the command

startx

Also try Ctrl + Alt + F7 from the console. See if that will take you to the desktop.

Yes, tried both kernels, same result. Also logged into recovery console and did the old startx trick. Did not work. I got it back by logging in, mounting the file system, and purging nvidia drivers. No back running the opensource drivers. 304 were the ones installed that caused the light manager failure.

You didn’t mention what kind of graphic card you have i’m running the tested driver not the updates driver i tried it before and had the same problem booted to blank screen.Don’t know how old your computer is this one is 11 yrs old and the 304 driver works fine.

GeForce 9600 GT

== /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/0000:01:00.0 ==
model    : G94 [GeForce 9600 GT]
vendor   : NVIDIA Corporation
modalias : pci:v000010DEd00000622sv00001043sd000082FCbc03sc00i00
driver   : nvidia-304-updates - distro non-free
driver   : nvidia-340 - distro non-free recommended
driver   : nvidia-304 - distro non-free
driver   : nvidia-340-updates - distro non-free
driver   : xserver-xorg-video-nouveau - distro free builtin

== cpu-microcode.py ==
driver : amd64-microcode - distro non-free

Are you planning on staying with the opensource driver? I would think that an 9600 would be a solid performer on a nvidia driver, I use to run an 8600 and now a later model and aways use the nvidia drivers.

It looks like your graphics card is new enough that the nvidia-340 - distro non-free recommended should be the driver you need.I have an older geforce 210 and that is the recommended driver.I haven’t had any problems with it.Hope this helps.

Still have the same problem on any NVIDIA driver even with kernel updates.

Solved:

Remember to attach the PCI Express power connector. At least I think this was the issue.