Boot problems on fresh 16.04 install with GPT partitioned drive

I have a fairly old PC with some existing OS installs on different partitions in /dev/sda. BIOS is the only supported boot method on this machine. sdb and sdc exist but don’t contain anything bootable.

I have a shiny new 120 GB ssd at /dev/sdd which is partitioned as GPT with /dev/sdd1 being a 1 MB bios boot partition with the bios_grub flag set (as required when using GPT), /dev/sdd2 and /dev/sdd3 are 60 GB partitions taking up the remainder of the drive. The intention was to have my new MATE 16.04 install on /dev/sdd2 and keep /dev/sdd3 spare for future use.

I installed 16.04 LTS to /dev/sdd2 using the “something else” option in the installer. I told it not to use the other drives in any way. So far as I know this install went fine apart from the boot problems. If I point the BIOS at sdd I was expecting my MATE install to work and if I had to manually add the others that would be fine. Instead it fails to boot at all. Pointing the BIOS back to sda all the old stuff works. I know I could probably add an entry for MATE to grub on sda but it feels really ugly and I really want my new install independent of the other drive.

I spent a couple of hours this evening messing around with grub and with the boot-repair tool, no progress to report (but a widely varied selection of error messages). I think I must have missed something really simple. I don’t mind reinstalling MATE on the new drive if there was something I should have done differently there. I guess the new drive could be changed to MBR partitioning but it feels a bit kludgey and everything I read tells me that GPT should be fine.

For a BIOS machine, the most compatible and simplest solution is to use a MBR formatted disk. GPT may have worked, but it’s a hit-and-miss and I don’t think it’s worth the trouble. Booting from a GPT drive is geared more for towards a (U)EFI system.

You say you don’t mind re-installing - This time, ensure the drive in GParted has a new partition table set as msdos (MBR). You may wish to consider setting up an extended partition so you can have more than 4 partitions. Ubuntu will happily boot from a logical partition. :slight_smile:

It is possible to do a GPT to MBR conversion without data loss, but it’s probably best to start clean since you wouldn’t need a “BIOS Boot Partition” for a MBR drive in a BIOS machine… and the fact it doesn’t have a working bootloader.

Some further reading:

2 Likes

See also:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

Fair enough. Most of what I’d read suggested GPT with BIOS was somewhere between “better supported than that” and “the preferred option so long as you don’t need to boot legacy windows”. Sounds like that’s not really true.

Thanks
Richard

2 Likes