Boot Screen Splash Image Removal Raspberry PI4

How can I remove the boot screen image in Ubuntu Mate for the RPi4 so that I see the boot output text while the computer boots?

1 Like

Edit /etc/default/grub and comment out this line (add # as first char)

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

sudo update-grub then reboot

Thank you for taking the time to help. I'm sorry, I should have mentioned that the usual doesn't work - there is no etc/default/grub file. This is a Raspberry Pi - quite a lot is different to the Intel way.

You mentioned the OS as Ubuntu Mate.

If you're running Raspbian, then edit /boot/cmdline.txt and remove the same words from the boot command. Sample command below:

console=serial0,115200 console=tty1 root=PARTUUID=7635a043-02 rootfstype=ext4 fsck.repair=yes rootwait quiet splash plymouth.ignore-serial-consoles

Thank you again! I am indeed running Ubuntu Mate.

1 Like

Possibly removing the words 'quiet' and 'splash' from /boot/firmware/cmdline.txt will do the trick

Thanks for the suggestion, it looked like a good possibility but doesn't work.

from my notes:

there is no grub for the pi, so boot parameters are set via
/boot/firmware/cmdline.txt
although there IS a file /etc/default/flash-kernel text file containing the
"standard" LINUX_KERNEL_CMDLINE= arg, it is NOT used. to disable the splash
screen and actually see the boot output, you need to edit
/boot/firmware/cmdline.txt
and remove the "splash" from THAT instead.

but I suspect that was while I was still running Raspbian.

There clearly IS something similar for Ubuntu though, as I'm now running that and at some point fixed the same issue there. I would suggest just running a recursive grep "splash" in /etc - I expect that's how I found the appropriate file in the Ubuntu install.

For those of you who don't want to hunt through man pages looking for how to do a "recursive grep", here's the quick command:

grep -r "splash" /etc