Bottom panel "flickers" when scrolling in FireFox?

Fairly fresh install of MATE 18.04 in MBP '09 . . . overall working well, but lately noticing that the bottom panel will “flicker” when scrolling down through some web page, or, also as a web page is loading . . . once the page has loaded the flickering stops . . . . Seemed like if more than one app is loaded and showing in the panel the problem is “less” . . . . It’s not a show stopper, but, somewhat irritating . . . .

I saw another thread entitled “Panel flickering” in 16.04, and I read through it, some of the posters were mentioning “window compositor” in MATE Tweaks . . . but I couldn’t exactly figure out what they wanted the OP to do with it . . . . Funny, problem is “happening” now as I’m typing this post . . . each key stroke makes the panel “shake” . . . .

Window Manager is set to "Marco (adaptive compositor) . . . which is possibly the default, I don’t think I changed it or set it . . . should I just pick another one and see what happens?

Even “funnier” now while I’m typing the panel is not shaking . . . so problem seems to come and go???

In Mate Tweak try changing from Marco (Adaptive compositor) to Marco (Compton GPU compositor). That solved it for me.

1 Like

R_F:

Thanks very kindly for the reply . . . it’ll be a day or three before I get back to that computer to check it out, but I’ll post back on the update . . . looks simple enough to try (Compton GPU Compositor) . . . . I do have another install of U -MATE 18.04 on the home computer that I’m using now, but I haven’t noticed this issue on it . . . . Have to check it out . . . .

Great tip and helped me!

Thanks…

2 Likes

Yep. Comparing the two installs of U-MATE between 09 MBP and 12 MP . . . the desktop version is also using “Marco (adaptive compositor)” and this flickering panel thing isn’t happening . . . ??? Both have Nvidia cards, and on this desktop the proprietary nvidia drivers are being used . . . .

Only difference might be that the home computer is connected by ethernet, and the laptop was connected to what was a slow wifi connection and web pages seemed to load “slowly” whereas at home it’s a fairly “fast” service?? I was trying to replicate what was happening at work, i.e., scrolling in web page . . . so far doesn’t seem to be happening in what should be roughly the “same” operating system and version, 18.04 + recent updates, etc.

OK, back over in the offending MBP . . . in the meanwhile I changed the home computer to Marco(Compton) as well . . . since there hadn’t been a problem I wouldn’t say it made a difference, but nothing got worse.

In the laptop, this morning before changing to Compton the “flickering/horizontally split” panel thing was again still happening . . . changing to Compton did improve the situation, the panel now kind of “vibrates” with activity . . . keystrokes, loading of windows, or just sitting looking at the screen the optional Desktop(s) area on the right end of the panel are “pulsing” . . . . Whereas, before changing the window manager to Compton, the whole panel would flicker, but the panel would “split” . . . which just now after several minutes has started happening again . . . .

So, I guess I would have to say that the problem is still happening . . . after changing the WM I logged out, then back in . . . things seemed “better” but now . . . it returns to horizontal splitting of the panel in a flickering manner . . . .

No further thoughts on the issue? Would this issue qualify as worthy of a bug report? Problem persists in spite of changing WM . . . would this be a general bug or a specific to mate-panel type bug??

When I had the problem I was using an AMD card and changing WM fixed it. As you are using NVIDIA I don't know whether it's a general bug or or the specific one you mention. It might be very well be worth sending a bug report in my humble opinion.
Regards.

1 Like

Sorry I couldn't have been of more help to you.

Richard_F:

Thanks for the reply, it is a bit "interesting" as my desktop is also now Nvidia and doesn't have this problem, but the laptop install does, with OEM Nvidia card circa '09 . . . . It's the kind of problem that creates a visual distraction . . . and does render the lower panel less functional . . . .

n_s

bug #1815148 has been officially filed on this thread . . . .

Got a link non_space?

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mate-panel/+bug/1815148

Noticed that the problem was happening while using the Terminal as well.

Sorry . . . nope, problem still happening . . . as type this post the panel flickers . . . same as before . . . .

Again ran the latest update/upgrade w/ new kernel and rebooted . . . flickering panel problem remains . . . .