Brave browser out of date

So, why do I have to download and to reinstall it maunaly, instead through MATE update feature?

It doesn't update automatically because brave is not in the official repository.

You don't have to download and reinstall.

You can add the brave ppa repository for your Ubuntu version to your apt repository file ( there are hundreds or thousands of howtos on this already, so no need to rewrite here.)

Or you can use the brave snap version.

Or appimage or flat pack if they offer it.

But basically Ubuntu doesn't update it because it isn't Ubuntu software. Lots of other browsers are, and resources are limited.

3 Likes

But Brave was regularly updated through MATE updates until few days ago, and I did not have to do anything with repositories.

Regardless, brave is not in the official repositories. Likely you added the brave repository to your sources file following instructions here:

especially the third line:

echo "deb [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/brave-browser-archive-keyring.gpg] https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/ stable main"|sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release.list

So, my personal "guess" is that something is wrong with that unofficial repository, or signing keys have changed, or something.

You can use a variation of the same "install" procedure to upgrade, but first installing new keys, checking the deb line in /etc/apt/sources.list to see if it is correct and correcting it, and do a sudo apt upgrade brave-browser instead of install. You can also check all of the above more easily through the GUI Synaptic front end to apt.

If you do a manual "sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade" what errors do you see?

Which version of UbuntuMATE are you using?

2 Likes

I agree about signing keys changing. I used to use Palemoon and that was run of the reasons I quit, their signing key change to often, along with a lack of add-ons. I also use the ubuntuzilla/version, repository of Firefox, FirefoxESR and Thunderbird and their key has changed occasionally over the years.

3 Likes

Yes, I also use Brave and just like you I installed it from the boutique which is part of MATE-welcome. This install automatically added the Brave repository including the GPG keys.

Yes, Brave had some changes serverside which resulted in the need for keychanges and the like. Therefore you have to reinstall Brave, but it is only once.
After this install it will keep on automatically updating as usual.

3 Likes

Software boutique is showing blank screen, and the welcome screen also. The OS system was previously 18.04 which was twice upgraded to 20.04 and now to 22.04 LTS.

That might be this issue. Although personally I've never encountered it.

But in that case you can also follow the instructions from the brave website which will work just as good.

2 Likes