Brisk Menu for 16.04 LTS

I’ve been using Ubuntu MATE for a week now and coming from a Whisker loving world had to replace the Normal Menu with the Advanced Menu. I also see that while the Solus team’s Brisk Menu is available (Martin Wimpress’s PPA), there are no builds for the LTS release which I currently happen to use.

I’m sorry if this has to do with some show-stopping technicality with dependencies or outdated packages but with all due politeness I must ask – Can the Brisk Menu applet be packaged for the LTS release.

And I’m really enjoying my time in Club MATE (which also happens to be a really cool drink if you’re up for trying something new!)

1 Like

Brisk Menu is GTK3 only . Mate in 16.04 repository is build againts GTK 2 only. That is why the applet is not avalible for 16.04 release .

1 Like

I understand then that the newer versions are moving towards GTK3 and consequently are supported.

Thanks for the info anyways!

Additionally I would really like to add that this is not a really good move by the Solus community. I’ve seen that Ikey Doherty has a strong inclination towards more modern toolkits but this is pretty crappy when he constantly posts about how the new menu would be great for MATE whereas it would be practically worthless for a majority of the userbase of that same DE. Distro-agnosticness not in the least sense!

Thanks for your inputs anyways!

@loolzer So all of MATE 1.18 is now GTK3 and also not available for 16.04.

1 Like

Is wayland porting planned for next release ?

1 Like

What about this ppa?

https://launchpad.net/~jonathonf/+archive/ubuntu/mate-1.18

Will break your system unless you add the other required PPAs maintained by that user.

1 Like

I’d really like to know this as well. I’d be really happy to see it ship, if even with X as a backup.