Brother Printer install tool

My daily driver is UbuntuMATE 16.04LTS and my printer is on my wireless LAN. UbuntuMATE 16.04LTS never listed my printer and the recommended driver printed terrible copies so used a WIN7 or SOLIS machine when I needed perfect copies. I downloaded UbuntuMATE 18.04Beta and noticed that my printer was printing perfect copies so I knew there was a solution somewhere and hunted it down.

Finally got my Brother MFC-L2705DW printer to print perfect copies on UbuntuMATE 16.04LTS. I used the Brother install tool (released in 12/2017) linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.0-1.gz on their support page. You will have to drill down to your specific model and select linux (.deb file)
Brother printer drivers
It’s a Command line install and near the end It asked for a URI (since it’s on the net) so I took a chance and copied the URI from the 18.04 install and it worked, I installed simple scan from APP GRID application in the boutique and that works also.

That gives me hope with my MFC2710 then lol. I don’t seem to have any issues getting the printing part working. The local Brother tech did recommend a couple of additions being enabled in Synaptic and as long as I followed the Brother online method implicitly it did seem to install and work. The Brother tech also recommended I use the dnssd option when selecting the URI (around number 12 usually). But, I just tried scanning in 17.10.1 last night and it didn’t work as Simple Scan is available in 17.10 menu. From online reading it seemed I have to go through a few more steps to get scanning to work. Not worrying about it till 18.04 though lol.

I just checked my printer screen.

It used dnssd://Brother%20MFC-L2705DW._ipp._tcp.local/?uuid=e3248000-80ce-11db-8000-30055c86cde7
So the Brother coders know better than average NOOBI - me.
I went back to the Brother site and it does show the info for a MFC-L2710DW so you should be good to go.

If you follow the install tool exactly, it takes a while to load the whole and it does install the scan driver.
I'd sure like to use all of the other features such as the automatic two sided printing tthough

Yeah, the scanning side went through as well in the Brother install, but it still didn’t scan when I tried last night. Printing is my priority though. There may be a few other steps I need to make/take to properly enable scanning in Linux though. That can be explored later. The other interesting thing was that after I downloaded Wine I totally lost my ability to print. It took a number of goes at totally uninstalling both printer drivers and Wine to somehow allow me to get that right lol. Trouble is I don’t ‘really’ know what it is I did the second/third time to get them all to play nice together lol. If I had my time again I would definitely find a HP PRINTER lol. I think they tend to have the most reliable support. When I got my Brother, I didn’t even understand at the time that it really only supported Debian and Red Hat based systems! I really am a ‘newbie’… to both Linux AND computers lol.