short story long: civil engineer with a plan to switch from Windows 7 to linux.
I would like to write my progress here, not only for me to remember what to avoid in next install but also maybe it will be handy for someone else. I am SORRY in advance for describing stuff in lame terms. If I should rather post it somewhere else write me so, but maybe it could be interesting to see how noob struggles.
Reasons for this change is one third paranoia, one third tax evasion, one third tired of windows.
Hhints are appreciated.
- office - AMD FX8320E/ 8GB RAM / GTX 1060 6GB / 128 GB SSD W7 / 240 GB SSD for linux / 640 GB data
- home - dell latitude E6330 / i3330M/ 8GB RAM
So far I used windows/dos for 20 years
Software and what I want to work on linux
- I mainly word in 2d (dgn,dwg) with output in pdf, I print drawings in office and outside if plotting bigger formats, I sometimes do visualizations (rhino, blender,gimp for post production) and I use openoffice, mozilla and thunderbird fro normal office things. For syncing I use dropbox. I am in office with network printer and with few collegues we use synology NAS for sharing stuff. Sometimes I use splashtop sofware for remote access. I was not able to make work wake on lan so far. I use office printer/scanner
Current progress with notes (11.2.2019)
- ubuntu 18.04 MATE installed, minor bugs when switching panel layouts (NOTE: dont mess with it anymore, lost "start" menu when picked "familiar" / Mutiny is nice but redmond has smaller icons - more space for drawing
- when installing all was automated, custom disk/partition too complex (swp/home/) maybe next time will try to play with that
- net - mozilla ok ... need to trransfer setting from win
- sharing - dropbox installed woth some error pop ups (drive ext4, noticed some discussion about crypting, but it works, maybe will change it in future for "syncthing" - have to find out about compatibility for collegues who work in win10) ... todo
- thunderbird - not synced yet, IMAP 30 gb, ... todo
- commander - installed krusader (sudo apt install krusader)
(had to add something like txt reader i suppose ... sudo apt install kate)
- blender - installed and running - todo: test new cycles
- 2d CAD - chose 3ds draftsight - didnt find in software boutique, downloaded package, tried to install through some gdebi installer ... so far didnt work ... :((((( ... solved via opening gdebi as admin (sudo gdebi-gtk and opening previsly downloaded deb file)
- win network - didnt work so far
- network printer/scanner - found instruction to install some samba (sudo apt samba) ... konica bizhub 195/215 havent found linux driver so far
- freeCAD - some bug on start (error webGUI , starts blank) ... will google more
NOTES TO PROGRAMS
- feels a little sluggish but at first look same as AutoCAD cca 2008 (before ribbon)
- have to now setup layout (dimensions, styles, lines, menu ... ) will try compatibility with made lines rsc/lin
- must add rar archiver, zips are ok