Caja Toolbar: Add 20 New Buttons (Copy/Cut/Paste, New Folder, Delete, etc) + Open Terminal Here Hotkey

Hi all. As you know, while Caja is an awesome file manager, there is no way to customise its toolbar via Preferences. But you can in fact add a whole bunch of new buttons, and remove unwanted ones, and below you'll find everything you could ever need to customise the toolbar to your liking. Rather than flood the Tutorials section with a whole bunch of different guides, or create one supermassive article with them all crammed in together, you will find an easy-to-browse list with links to articles I've already created (I asked you guys for permission first!!).

I've put them in order of most-requested, from what I've seen across the web, with the last guide being for a bunch of sundry buttons (which most of you probably have no use for, but hey, they're there if you want them). Speaking of importance, one action many of you are bound to want to have a button for is Open Terminal Here, which isn't possible since the Open in Terminal context-menu option is provided by an extension, not built into Caja. But I found an even better way - to launch a terminal for the current folder via the F4 key (and you can even choose the terminal app for this task) - so I've included that here as well (and due to it's importance, I've added that in the middle of the links, rather than after the sundry items). And finishing the article off will be a guide on adding/removing separators, and reordering buttons, and removing unwanted ones.

So I hope you find the guides useful, and have fun customising Caja's toolbar to your own specifications! (Just click the headings to go to the tutorials)

Copy, Cut & Paste
Copy

Cut

Paste

Create New Folder
Caja-Toolbar-Create-New-Folder

Open New Tab & Open New Window
Caja-Toolbar-Open-New-Tab

Caja-Toolbar-Open-New-Window

Open Trash, Move to Trash, Delete & Empty Trash
Caja-Toolbar-Rubbish-Folder

Caja-Toolbar-Move-To-Rubbish

Caja-Toolbar-Delete-Bypass-Rubbish

Caja-Toolbar-Empty-Rubbish

Undo & Redo
Caja-Toolbar-Undo-Redo

Open Terminal Here Hotkey
Caja-Open-Terminal-Here-Spaces

File/Folder Properties
Caja-Toolbar-Properties2

Caja-Toolbar-Properties

Network Locations
Caja-Toolbar-Network-Locations

Add Bookmark
Caja-Toolbar-Add-Bookmark

Clear History
Caja-Toolbar-Clear-History

Extras: Preferences, Templates, Backgrounds and Emblems & Rename
Caja-Toolbar-Sundry-Preferences

Caja-Toolbar-Sundry-Templates

Caja-Toolbar-Sundry-Backgrounds-Emblems

Caja-Toolbar-Sundry-Rename

See also:
Add/Remove Separators & Reorder/Remove Buttons

6 Likes

Nice Man, thanks for dedicating some of your time for the community. That's how we grow. Appreciate ya and keep it up :slightly_smiling_face::+1: #CajaFTW

1 Like

Thanks, mate! Glad to help, and show others outside the community how awesome Caja is. Cheers

1 Like

This is a great "feature". Thank you @UbuntuMetal !
Do you know if it is possible to do this on a per user basis?

1 Like

Hi, and sorry I didn't see your comment till now. Unfortunately, because one has to edit /usr/share/caja/ui/caja-navigation-window-ui.xml, it makes the changes system-wide. But I'm sure all users would welcome some additional buttons, especially if they're useful.

1 Like

Caja is much better with extra toolbar buttons. I added new tab, copy, paste, show hidden files and properties. 3 of them give warnings in ~.xsession-errors, but they work as they should.

(caja:7307): Gtk-WARNING **: 00:11:00.643: Copy: missing action Copy

(caja:7307): Gtk-WARNING **: 00:11:00.643: Paste: missing action Paste

(caja:7307): Gtk-WARNING **: 00:11:00.643: Properties: missing action Properties

(caja:7307): Gtk-WARNING **: 00:11:00.650: Copy: missing action Copy

(caja:7307): Gtk-WARNING **: 00:11:00.650: Paste: missing action Paste

(caja:7307): Gtk-WARNING **: 00:11:00.651: Properties: missing action Properties

(caja:7307): Gtk-WARNING **: 00:11:00.664: Copy: missing action Copy

(caja:7307): Gtk-WARNING **: 00:11:00.664: Paste: missing action Paste

(caja:7307): Gtk-WARNING **: 00:11:00.664: Properties: missing action Properties

(caja:7307): Gtk-WARNING **: 00:11:04.921: Copy: missing action Copy

(caja:7307): Gtk-WARNING **: 00:11:04.921: Paste: missing action Paste

(caja:7307): Gtk-WARNING **: 00:11:04.921: Properties: missing action Properties