Can anyone here upgrade to nvidia-driver-510 without login problems?

I'm currently using the latest nvidia-driver-470 which, at the moment, is 470.103.01. It's working fine.

A few weeks ago, driver 510 was listed in Software & Updates -> Additonal Drivers as the "tested" or "recommended" driver. Now I see that 470 is the recommended one, not 510. (At least for my GPU, a GeForce RTX 3060)

I tried several times over the last month to install 510, but couldn't log in after upgrading, every time.

Now when I enter the commands ubuntu-drivers list and ubuntu-drivers devices, the first line returned for both commands is:

WARNING:root:_pkg_get_support nvidia-driver-510: package has invalid Support PBheader, cannot determine support level

There is a Linux Mint thread here made up of folks who use the MATE desktop environment. Many of them are having the exact same problem I had when trying to ugrade the nvidia driver to driver 510. (495 is no longer available, but it had the same problem.)

So it is thought now by some that there may be an issue between nvidia-driver-510 and the MATE DE. I am just curious if anyone here has had this problem.

Also, does anyone know what to make of the warning message above? What does "invalid support" mean? Could it mean that nvidia has removed its support for 510?

Thoughts?

1 Like

Same problem here. I am going to bug report it now.

And there's a post on nvidia forum here: Can't boot after upgrading to 510 driver on Ubuntu 20.04 - #18 by hammedhaaret - Linux - NVIDIA Developer Forums

I've been posting on that forum also (as q112 - they choose the posters' names, apparently).

There are some issues being worked on to resolve this.

This is the root cause: Bug #1959995 “present: Crash in 'present_scmd_get_crtc' and 'pre...” : Bugs : xorg-server package : Ubuntu

Please add an "affects you" to that LP Bug to help it generate more :fire:

Wimpy has created a PPA with a work-around.

This should be considered a temporary work-around and not a long term fix.

Hope this helps for the time being.

Thank you for that info!
I did indeed add that it affects me as well.

Has there been a 20.04 solution put in place? I've read about assorted patches and upgrades to xorg-server, but it looks (to my very untrained eye) like they've so far targeted newer versions of Ubuntu?

It's not the end of the world staying back on 470 for the time being, but I'm really curious if anyone knows of a roadmap (or existing solution that isn't considered a terrible short-term workaround) for 20.04 users.

Thanks all!

I ran into the same issue on 21.10, and have since discovered why. Nvidia dropped support for 600 and 700 Kepler GPU based cards, and the newer 700 & 750ti use Maxell GPU's are suppose to be supported, but my 750ti sc would not work. They announced it last May. Here is an article I found that explains why Link Here

The same problem also affects me! I am using Ubuntu Gnome 20.04 though and not Mate.
However, I do not have login problems, but my GPU driver can not work correctly for computations with Cuda.
After upgrading the driver to 510, a broken dependency has been created on my system files.
Even the un-install and reinstall of older version of nvidia driver like 460 could not solve the problem. By running the command "ubuntu-drivers devices" I get similar warning:

WARNING:root:_pkg_get_support nvidia-driver-510-server: package has invalid Support PBheader, cannot determine support level

And if I install the additional Cuda toolkit for GPU computations (e.g. to train DNNs), the driver works for some hours but after a while it gets broken and throws an error, which says can not find the installation of Cuda. After that error, even the nvidia-smi command can not find the installed driver.

I have had this problem for quite some time. Been stuck with driver-470 for months now.

Solution offered by @franksmcb above didn't help although it is very appreciated.

I found that the only solution for me is to turn set the Window Manager "Marco" to "No Compositor" in the Mate Tweak options, before installing the new drivers (in my case nvidia-driver-510).

With Nvidia driver 470, Menu > Preference > MATE Tweak > Windows > Window Manager > Marco (No Compositor). Then install nvidia driver 510.

This works as long as you don't revert the compositor to "Adaptive Compositor" again. This will immediately cause another Login Loop crash.
I've tested this on these hardware

• Intel i7-7700 with Nvidia RTX 2080
  • Ryzen 3700x with Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti

Both running on Kernel 5.13.0-40-generic.

It seems to me the problem is with the compositor? Anyway I hope this helps someone.

Same as you, tried the Marco in the repo by @franksmcb but did not work with 515, had to revert back to 470, selected "No Compositor" in Mate Tweak, and reinstalled the 515. Now everything works fine. (this means ThankYou ! by the way, does it work even if one does not use the version in the developer repo?).
I would have stuck with 470, but needed CUDA and from the Nvidia site I had to install a version that relied on 515.

(off topic, if you read this and need to do things using torch, you need to install a version compiled with the latest cuda, i.e. 11.3. If you have a card with 11.7 it seems to work anyway)