Can I install without a USB/CD

I run Ubuntu 16.04 on a 2009 MacBook Pro. Is there a way to install Mate (or any Linux distro, I guess) without turning the ISO into a Live CD or USB?

Not that I know of. It has to be on another drive than the one you are using.

There is. I did something like this years ago but have forgotten the precise details. (see what I did there…) Take a look at this page -

1 Like

Well you have to look-up information how to create a Virtual Drive (Virtual DVD drive) so that you can mount the ISO on that Drive … And then you can launch the installation from that Virtual DVD drive …
MAybe you can have a look here (is for older Ubuntu version, but who knows …)

Thanks guys. These aren’t exactly what I was looking for, seeing as I want to do it without having create other partition. However, these will be really helpful

If you do not want partitions I would suggest just running it in virtualbox or similiar

How Can I install with a UBS drive?

Ubuntu used to have wubi for installing to a virtual disk. For reasons that I never really understood it was dropped and is no longer supported. I’m not sure about 18.04, but certainly for fairly recent releases you could still install to a virtual disk. You don’t need the wubi application to set this up, but you won’t find much information on the net on how to do it manually either.

The easiest way to run Ubuntu without installing to a partition is to just run the live/desktop iso. Turn on the persistent feature and you can do a lot with it. You don’t have to burn a DVD, or usb flash drive, you can run it from an iso file. I’ve done it this way on my laptop, copied the relevant files to the EFI partition so I have the option of Windows or Ubuntu at boot time.