Can I remove the mate power managment package

Hi all,

I have a small issue with an old laptop (dual boot with Win 7 and Ubuntu Mate 16.04) going into sleep mode at boot time, I start the laptop and it starts to boot then it goes into sleep mode, I press the power button to wake it up and it runs for a little and then goes back to sleep, I press the power button once more and it shuts the system down.

When I switch it back on (press the power button to start the laptop again) it starts no problem, this happens all the time and although it is only a nuisance, I would like to know if I can safely remove the power management package and would it have an adverse effect on the system?, I should point out that I don’t use any power saving modes at all including screensaver, suspend or hibernation.

The package in question is:

mate-power-manager

Any help is appreciated!. :smiley:

Well since your not so picky about the help you get, then here I am :slight_smile:

My laptop sounds similar to yours. As it gets beat up over the years, it assumes a mind of its own. I turn mine off and have to watch it for about 30 seconds because it will at times turn its self back on.

Anyhow I would say safe to remove the power manager package, but I have not tried this myself.

Have you tried any acpi options.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions#Common_Kernel_Options

1 Like

Don’t undersell yourself @anon42388993, even low quality answers will be considered!. :smiley:

Joking aside, I had forgotten about the command: > apm=off OR noapm (Good call btw!) :smiley:

I will give that a try and see if it does the job!. :smiley:

I did consider throwing caution to the wind and simply just removing the power package, that said, if things went wrong, I might get stuck although I could simply run a fresh install of the package using recovery mode > network > root and re-install it with the following command:

sudo apt-get install mate-power-manager

I would only have to connect the laptop to my router with a network cable to do that!. :smiley:

I’ll let you know how it goes in a few mins!. :smiley:

EDIT:

apm=off caused a kernel panic!. :frowning: and noapm just didn’t work!.

I tried manually removing the package via root in recovery mode and lots of errors about read only files came up.

After booting and opening Synaptic, it tells me it wants to remove the following packages when I select it for complete removal:

ubuntu-mate-core and ubuntu-mate-desktop

I know I can live without ubuntu-mate-desktop but I think if I remove the mate core package, I might end up in a world of hurt?.

Hmmmmm?. :frowning:

I solved the problem by giving the laptop back to the owner with only Windblows 7 installed as he can’t get along with Linux anyway and wasn’t happy about it not booting correctly!.

Closed1. :smiley: