Cannot change the background

I upgraded my 16.10 Beta install to 17.04 a couple of weeks ago without any issues :slight_smile:

Yesterday I notice that I can no longer change my background. Anyone else seeing this?

Hi @anon42388993,

I just did a fresh install and the problem is still there, I used the daily build from yesterday so it should be up-to-date!. :frowning:

1 Like

Problem is still there after doing several updates today and doing a restart!. :thumbsdown:

I have not been using my install lately. Think Iā€™ll start using it again when alpha comes out. Perhaps we will see a fix or time to file a bug on it.

Hi @anon42388993,

I am currently downloading the daily build again and will do another complete install and see if that helps!. If not, I can eventually file a bug report. :smiley:

I have done a fresh install of Ubuntu-Mate 17.04 from nightly builds and I can not set the image on my desktop background. I have tried using System->Preferences->Look and Feel->Appearance->Background but it will not set. Okay so I installed xsetbg, it does not produce an error but it also fails to set the background. I switched from the compositing desktop to the non-compositing desktop, no difference.

When I get around to it; I will file a bug report!. :smiley:

Still unable to change wallpaper in the background.

Hi Bernard

When alpha comes out the end of this month and I hope to see this get automagically fixed. If not, I guess its time to file a bug report (unless someone else beats me to it).

Iā€™ve been meaning to do that (file a bug report) but like you say, I will now wait for the Alpha and see if it is fixed, Iā€™ll let you deal with the bug report @anon42388993 as Iā€™m just that kind of guy!. :smiley:

1 Like

I just did several updates but it isnā€™t fixed yet!. :frowning:

If anybody wants to know, with compiz and ccsm then you will be able to activate the ā€œwallpaperā€ effect in the ā€œutilityā€ category. You can then select some wallpapers you want to use. This is actually will works but you need compiz for that.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve discovered the root cause of this issue and just uploaded a new mate-settings-daemon to the 17.04 archive which fixes the issue. It will take 4 to 6 hours to appear in your uodates :slight_smile:ļø

3 Likes

Thanks @Wimpy,

the problem is now solved!. :smiley:

Merry Christmas everyone. :smiley:

Current DE look on my test partition:

2 Likes

I upgraded to 17.04 as well and just realized indeed, I canā€™t update the backgroundā€¦ I tried the above suggested resolution, if I understood this well: sudo apt-get install mate-settings-daemon, but still facing the same problem - stuck with the (ugly?) default background. I guess I will keep googling - but this thread seemed the most promissing.
Many thanks
thomas

ok, this old post did it for me.

Specifically, run this command:
gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.background active true
and the background i had selected immediately appeared.
nice.
Many thanks
thomas

1 Like

I was having this problem in Gnome on Ubuntu studio. I could not get the ā€˜change backgroundā€™ app to launch when right clicking on the desktop. I ran this and everything started working again. Thanks!