Cannot create desktop URL shortcuts with Firefox

I understand. I cannot reproduce that at the moment. But it was remarkable from the standpoint that the File Manager was trying to replace the Desktop folder instead of saving a link inside the Desktop folder, and that should never be the default action under any circumstances.

It sounds like the webpage was saved complete previously.

I think that's correct: in those tests which involved multiple attempts with both methods, I did not delete the previous items before trying again.

In that case, it sounds right to me that it would ask about replacing it, if it previously existed.

Agreed. But I never saw any prompts to replace a file. It always created duplicates. The one time that it deviated from this behavior, it tried to replace the Desktop folder for this user account, instead of replacing a file on the Desktop.

I have seen the file size represented incorrectly, so definitely suggest reporting it.

Do you think it's a Firefox issue or a File Manager issue? I don't have another distro to test it on right now.

Regarding second attempt: It is creating a link name with the same name, yes, but if you open a terminal and issue the command 'ls', you'll see that it names the actual filenames of the two links with unique names. If you were to create links (symbolic links) of regular files, it does give unique link names. Suggest reporting it.

I do understand that the file names would have to be different within the file system, even if they appear identical on the Desktop. But if you save from another application, the File Manager does not normally allow names which appear identical on the deskop. In that case it would prompt to rename or replace. So is this a bug in Firefox or the File Manager? Are there any distros where this works properly?

Regarding the replace message on second attempt: I can't tell when you are left-clicking on the shortcut, and can't get the replace message.

I cannot consistently reproduce this one, but will try to explain it better: I noticed that the second shortcut had the same title on the Desktop. In Firefox on Mac & Windows, you would either get a different name (appending 1,2,3, etc.) or it would prompt for replacement. So when I saw two shortcuts with the same identical name, I clicked on the first shortcut to select it. (But I now think a single right-click is what triggered this; sorry for the confusion.)

So I right-clicked once and the file replace dialog appeared instead of the context menu. In other words, it appears that a file replace dialog request was lodged in memory, but it was suppressed for some reason, and a duplicate shortcut was created without waiting for the request window to appear. When I right-clicked on the first shortcut, that suppressed 'conflict' dialog suddenly appeared, but it had no relevance in this context because the file with the duplicate name had already been created.

Notes:

1. The title on the desktop is "Link to..." but the replace dialog thinks the file is named "22"

2. There is no file on the Desktop with a visible title of "22"
    (In terminal there is a file named "22" of 167kb but the file which represents the desktop shortcut is 263 bytes)

3. The icon on the desktop is a blank page, but the replace dialog shows an icon with </>

(I think the correct icon for a shortcut is the favicon with an arrow overlay, or a generic URL icon with arrow overlay)

4. The original file size is 167 kb, and the replacement is <null> because it was already saved without permission

5. The properties dialog says the file size is "unknown" and the type is HTML (but the icon title on the desktop is "Link to..." and terminal says it is a ".desktop" file)

6. If I open a new File Manager window, I can see the contents, but cannot interact with the window while the file replace dialog is open (not sure if this is the expected behavior)

Even where I have a working shortcut, the properties say it's an HTML file, and the icon does not look like a shortcut. It's also missing the option to "open with" anything else (like text editor.) If I drag it into the text editor, it looks like a valid shortcut file. And the icon type specified is "mate-fs-bookmark." Is that icon type supposed to be represented by a blank page? Looks wrong to me.

Now if you have links or files left over from the attempt without shift-ctrl, that might be the cause.

Could be. So maybe the desktop shortcut feature needs to be fixed first, and maybe some of the other problems will go away. In any case, I did find something else worth noting here:

When I attempted to create a shortcut in the normal way, I saw a plus sign on the cursor momentarily. And then it changed to a question mark. On every subsequent attempt, it's always a question mark. So it looks like there is a filter driver or something which overrides the original file type specified by Firefox. If I could have dropped the shortcut on the Desktop during that moment when the cursor showed a big yellow plus sign, it would probably have created a valid shortcut without shift-CTRL. Would you agree that this sounds like a bug in the File Manager?

This might be happening every time you try to save a link, but maybe it happens too quickly to see, unless there are a bunch of pending file operations in the queue. Perhaps you could use a debugger to slow it down and verify this. But why would it save a shortcut correctly on the second attempt? That kind of implies we might be dealing with two separate issues here.

Regarding fourth attempt: I wouldn't expect a valid shortcut to consume 100kb, not by a long shot.

I think the confusion there was the fact that the properties dialog showed the properties of the HTML file instead of the shortcut. So if you have a valid shortcut on the desktop, but you also have an HTML copy, it seems like the link points to the local copy of the page. And when I launch that type of shortcut, in the lower panel the file manager says it is loading something like "22" (a local HTML file). But what is displayed in the browser is not the local copy; it is the live page. That makes no sense to me. The shortcut should not point to a raw HTML file on the desktop -- but if it does so for any reason, that should be what opens when you launch it.

About the valid information in the file properties, I did notice that there is a delay of generating the properties window but not what you saw.

In some cases the file properties had no valid information. In other cases there was a strange delay the first time you try to view the properties. So I can confirm those are two separate issues.

All of the working shorcuts had invalid information in the properties until I tried it without Shift-CTRL. It's really bizarre. But it does seem related to the same issue which causes the file replace dialog to be suppressed until you right-click on a Desktop shortcut.

I think the default for drag/drop should be a link, not an html page/file.

I have just found some documentation where Mozilla says that a link is the intended behavior. And while there still could be a bug in Firefox, I think there are some pretty serious bugs in the File Manager too.

I couldn't figure out your second attempt test of clicking on the first link. Can you duplicate it?

I did duplicate it once more by accident; I can now confirm that it was a single right click on the first shortcut. In order to reproduce this, I think you need to have at least two shortcuts. In the worst case, you may need to follow all of the steps that I posted earlier (where you create several shortcuts using both methods, allowing for any failure to create a valid shortcut.) I am not sure if it happens with both the Shift-CTRL method AND the normal method (where you get a valid shortcut on the second try.) Again this varies by web site in terms of reproducibility. Refer to the image above for an example of what to expect.

I'm neutral on the naming of links since the filenames are unique.

The standard on all other platforms is to append a number to duplicates, or prompt for replacement. In no case is it considered acceptable for multiple files on the desktop (of the same type) to display an identical name. And now I see that shortcuts do not appear in the File Manager. Can you confirm this? It's starting to look like things are so badly broken that it might be a long time before this gets fixed.

Well I guess I was not ā€œexplicitā€ enough. So let me explicitly say this in a fashion that even a ā€˜boneheadā€™ can understand: I am not asking YOU for ANYTHING. I am explicitly TELLING you something. So sit up and pay attention!

THIS IS HOW FIREFOX IS DESIGNED TO WORK ON ALL SUPPORTED PLATFORMS:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/create-desktop-shortcut-website

If it does not work that way on the default installation of Ubuntu Mate, it is a bug. I donā€™t know precisely which component is affected ā€“ but if that bug does not get fixed here, it will be fixed somewhere else. You cannot prevent this, but you sure have earned your name here for trying, UnkleBoneHead.

You are the epitome of ā€œoperator errorā€ and I so wish someone would have answered your question with RTFM.

Your hypocrisy and insincerity just knows no bounds. I have posted a link to the ā€˜effing manualā€™ above, and it clearly shows that you were totally wrong to excoriate me for saying that Firefox is designed to support desktop URL shortcuts in Linux. If anyone needs to ā€œRTFM,ā€ it is you.

You berate myself and others for asking and suggesting that if you like how those work then use them.

You could not even spell ā€œberateā€ until I used it in a sentence to describe your behavior. When you joined this discussion, you immediately started bitching about how you ā€œCANā€™T STANDā€ Windows & Mac." Then you proceeded to tell us all about your personal preferences, and how ā€œstupidā€ you think other people are if they donā€™t share your preferences. Well someone needs to remind you that the topic of this thread is NOT ***ā€˜UnkleBoneHeads preferencesā€™***. The world does not revolve around UnkleBoneHead. You came in here for the sole purpose of fighting about your personal choices. And you were absolutely ENRAGED that anyone would dare to claim there is a bug Ubuntu Mate. And now you are trying to stop us from documenting that bug so it can be fixed properly.

By your own admission, you despise the concept of internet shortcuts on the desktop. And you continue to insist there is no bug because you do not want the bug to be fixed. You came to this forum seeking attention from others, and you came to this thread to fight. I came here to handle this bug in one way or another. That is the fundamental difference. But you donā€™t own Linux, and you donā€™t own this forum. It is not your place to dictate how other people choose to address this issue, and which workaround they choose to accept until that bug is fixed. While it might have been a waste of my time to educate you, the fact remains that you are the one who is out of order here. If you want to argue that there is no bug, or you just want to fight about your personal choices, start a new topic of your own. The people who believe that there really is a bug have a right to work on this project without being molested by trolls.

I sincerely hope you get banned.

Did you really think this sentiment was not obvious from your very first post? Yes, I get it: you have staked out this little spot on the web. You feel like itā€™s your territory, and you are threatened by newcomers. You want to chase away anyone that you perceive as a challenger to your ā€œauthorityā€ on this forum. You are deeply afraid of anyone who makes you seem less important. But let me reassure you that I have no interest in participating beyond the point where this bug gets fixed. There are just too many little brats here who are spoiling for a fight. If you want me to go away, help us to properly document this bug ā€“ or at the very least, just stop trying to prevent others from working on it.

I am removing myself from this conversation again.

I will believe it when I see it.

Please do not tag me in it again.

I did not tag you, ā€˜gravyā€™ did. I merely quoted him in my post. While I was writing that reply, I was focused on documenting the bug. It never occurred to me that you would use this tag as an excuse to come back and dump another load of rubbish here.

Iā€™m not sure if you noticed the post where we confirmed that it works differently depending on the web site. I understand that you might not have the time to document this more thoroughly, but if possible, could you clarify what happens when it fails: do you get no link at all, or do you see an HTML document, or something else. Do you see a plus sign on the cursor, or a question mark, or something else. Are you sure that it worked reliably in another distro, and if so, which one?

No link at all and very rarely an .html document. Itā€™s worked in all distroā€™s Iā€™ve ever used since the feature has been available. Iā€™ve been using linux for 20+ yrs. BTW this is noticed in Firefox 37 and Chromium 41.

1 Like

I would like my windows to maximize EXACTLY like windows and mac. Should I change also?

Everyone appears to have had their say and the issue was also discussed with solutions outlined. Iā€™m closing this topic.

1 Like