Cannot find Wifi networks with Ubuntu 18.04.01 MATE

My problem is that I am unable to discover new wireless networks using the network manager. There is no option to do so under tray, and System > Preferences > Internet and Network > Network Connections, yields only previous connections, as shown here: screen shot of Network Connections window

Wifi connects automatically to previous wireless network connections (on one now), and can detect new networks from nmcli . When restart in presence of new wireless network (e.g. at coffee shop), I get a popup in top right that says “wireless networks are available” but no option to connect.

It really just seems like there is no direct way in Bionic Beaver/MATE to open the list of available wireless networks, because I did not have this problem prior to upgrading from Ubuntu 16 (which is where the network connections I do have came from) and I can connect to old networks Wifi automatically and/or discover new networks via command line. I’m sure this is something simple that I am missing, however I am new to Linux/Ubuntu and would appreciate any input.

I am running Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS MATE 1.20.1

thanks

Hi,

Try install the package manager…

sudo apt-get install synaptic

Search by network-manager and network-manager-gnome, reinstall these packs.

Hi h4wk - thanks for the help!

I installed the package manager, unfortunately, I don’t know how to

Could you provide some details? Thanks!

Hi Cobey,

Sorry for my late reply…

Open the synaptic, pess ctrl+f, search for “network-manager”. Right click in the package and reinstall. Close synaptic and reboot. Same process for network-manager-gnome. Alternatively, you can also try wicd + wicd-gtk.

Good Luck!