Cannot install Virtualbox on Ubuntu 19.10

I use Ubuntu Mate 19.10 - 64bits with kernel version 5.3.0-20.

• I tried using ppa provided by oracle on virualbox site but it's not available for 19.10.
  • I tried to install virtualbox package from official ubuntu repository but I got the following errors :
vboxdrv.ko:
Running module version sanity check.
modinfo: ERROR: missing module or filename.
- Original module
- No original module exists within this kernel
- Installation
- Installing to /lib/modules/5.3.0-20-generic/updates/dkms/

vboxnetadp.ko:
- Original module
- Installation

vboxnetflt.ko:
- Original module
- Installation

vboxpci.ko:
- Original module
- Installation

depmod...
  • I tried the debian package from virtualbox site called virtualbox-6.0_6.0.14-133895~Ubuntu~bionic_amd64.deb, but it gives the following errors :
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of virtualbox-6.0:
virtualbox-6.0 depends on libvpx5 (>= 1.6.0); however:
Package libvpx5 is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package virtualbox-6.0 (--install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured

What is the correct way to install virtualbox on Ubuntu 19.10 ?

A reply from virtualbox forum has suggested to install the virtualbox generic installer for linux and that worked perfectly for Ubuntu 19.10.
Anyone who has the same problem, you can access Virtualbox LInux Downloads and then download "All distributions" installer file, then you install also the Extension Pack.

edited: You got your answer while I was replying, so that's good. While we're on the subject though:

I would STRONGLY advise people not to use the Ubuntu-provided version of VB. The official VB forums are generally the only source of help for any non-trivial problems, and the policy there is (perfectly reasonably) to support the Oracle release only, not distro forks. If you do run into a serious problem, the last thing you want is to be in a position where the only response you're going to get is "Install the official release and come back after you've done that".

1 Like

Just for reference...

I installed VB from the Software Boutique (version 6.0.14_Ubuntur132055) and everything worked fine, except for the global menu when a virtual machine window is active (the menus are shown but all are empty). However, the global menu worked well in the main VB window.

The suggested "All distributions " option worked fine but without global menu support.

Are you able to move by mouse the window of the running virtual machine ?

Yes. Everything worked fine when I tested it (I'm not at work right now).

You have to press and release the host key (the right Control by default) to "free" the mouse and move it outside the virtual machine window. That's why I don't miss the global menu in this case.