Cannot start indicator-kdeconnect

I installed KDE Connect using the Mate Software Greeter. I can pair my phone with my desktop computer and everything seems to work, except that I can’t get the indicator to work despite that I enabled indicators in the Mate Tweak.
When I try to start the indicator in a terminal I get:

peter@bluejean:~$ indicator-kdeconnect
** Message: KDEConnectManager.vala:32: KDE Connect daemon found
** Message: Device.vala:73: device : /modules/kdeconnect/devices/9766a461600bbbc9
** Message: Device.vala:263: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: No such method ‘isReachable’ in interface ‘org.kde.kdeconnect.device’ at object path ‘/modules/kdeconnect/devices/9766a461600bbbc9’ (signature ‘’)
** Message: Device.vala:263: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: No such method ‘isReachable’ in interface ‘org.kde.kdeconnect.device’ at object path ‘/modules/kdeconnect/devices/9766a461600bbbc9’ (signature ‘’)

Any ideas?

Edit: I’m using 16:04

Just a guess, but maybe it has a GTK+ 3 indicator? MATE in 16.04 only supports GTK+ 2 indicators. This article about indicator-kdeconnect mentions it supports “Unity, Pantheon (elementary OS), Xfce (Xubuntu)”, which all do support GTK+ 3 indicators. MATE in the upcoming 16.10 (Yakkety) release does support GTK+ 3 indicators. You could try it in a virtual machine. The first beta and daily builds are available, and the second/final beta should be out soon.

1 Like

It would surprise me if they included software in the Boutique that is not supported. Something must have gone wrong.

Ah, I missed where you said you installed it from.

I looked at indicator-kdeconnect’s Github issues, and there are several open issues from people running 16.04-based distros that say it’s not working :frowning: One commenter built a new version that others report works for them. You could try the version from the commenter’s PPA.

I read a little further and someone said they tried that new build with Ubuntu MATE 16.04 specifically, and it’s still not working for them :anguished:

OK. Thanks. Now I know I’m not the only one having problems. :slight_smile: I’ll try the new version tomorrow.

One more comment I found with a suggestion:

yeah unfortunately it is still a bit finicky. The only way I get it to work currently is to run:
kcmshell5 kcm_kdeconnect # make sure it it connected to your device, then only after that…
indicator-kdeconnect #works for me and shows up in the systemtray.

OK, I can wait until it’s fixed. Thanks for taking your time to help. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just a feedback : As Ubuntu Touch don’t get update anymore from june 2017, i switched back to Android :pensive: wich is kind of golden prison …
Anyway, in Mate 1.16.2, Kde Connect indicator don’t work neither, but this does not prevent Kde connect to work great with all functionalities … (Android 6 sony xperiaE5)
I thought about try 17.04, but my 16.04.2 seems to be solid so … i guess I’ll stick with it :innocent: