Cannot start LXC containers on the Pi 2

I’ve been trying to get LXC containers to work on any of the Ubuntu flavours for the past few weeks and despite my best efforts to figure it out, I’ve run out of ideas.

When creating and starting any container, I get the following errors:

lxc-start 1457547923.980 ERROR    lxc_utils - utils.c:open_without_symlink:1620 - No such file or directory - Error examining security in /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/lxc/sys/kernel/security
  lxc-start 1457547923.980 ERROR    lxc_utils - utils.c:open_without_symlink:1620 - No such file or directory - Error examining pstore in /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/lxc/sys/fs/pstore
  lxc-start 1457547924.366 ERROR    lxc_seccomp - seccomp.c:lxc_seccomp_load:593 - Error loading the seccomp policy

At first, I thought it might have been an Apparmor issue, because the Kernel provided with MATE isn’t patched for Apparmor 2.4, where I get the following message when trying to apply the LXC Apparmor profile:

Cache read/write disabled: interface file missing. (Kernel needs AppArmor 2.4 compatibility patch.)

I can get LXC to work on Raspbian on the Pi 2, so I’m certain the issue just requires a Kernel patch. However, I have no idea which one. So any ideas/feedback would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Hey @steve_a, as I can see it’s been months since you posted this question. I’m facing the same problem, did you happen to find the fix?

Hi Beenum,

I did get it to work, but I had to copy a kernel from the vanilla Ubuntu Raspberry Pi image. You can get the image from here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/RaspberryPi

What I did was copy the /boot partition from that Ubuntu image and left the Ubuntu MATE data partition alone. From there LXC worked for me.

I hope this helps!

1 Like