Canon MAXIFY MB5320 Scan/Print

Howdy!

I am running Ubuntu Mate 18.04.3 LTS on an old lenovo E431 and can't get my Canon MAXIFY MB5320 to print or scan. I have downloaded and installed Debian packages from here https://www.canondrivers.org/canon-maxify-mb5320-driver-download/

These two:
cnijfilter2_5.00-1_amd64.deb
scangearmp2_3.00-1_amd64.deb

No luck.

I'm running Ubuntu Mate 18.04 LTS on an old toshiba and the Canon MAXIFY MB5320 prints out of the box, no driver needed, but I can't get it to scan on that machine.

How can I get this printer running on ubuntu so I can scrap windows on these machines?

Hello djm

Can you give details of the Toshiba so that we can compare the hardware specifications of your two (works / does not work) machines?

alternatively if you can afford the download try

sudo apt install gscan2pdf

Its normally run as GUI but you can run it as CLI if your device is not auto detected

Imgur

tested with canon MG3060.....needs usb lead

So the Toshiba only prints, never got it to scan. I have used Linux Mint in the past and never had this issue. What do you want to know about the Toshiba?

Its a Toshiba Satellite L755 - S5244. I'll have to go fire it up for any other details.

Sorry I haven't replied earlier, I am just seeing your replies now. I returned to give an update on the situation. I recently received an email from canonical talking about Linux Mint 19.10 and how "the theme of this release is to address as many “paper-cut” issues as possible. Every new feature in Ubuntu MATE 19.10 has been added to address bugs or poor user experience." Assuming that my printing issue is one of these kinds of paper-cut issues I figured to upgrade to see if I can use my printer/scanner.

I see now, rereading my message that I am still one upgrade behind. Weird because the updater says I am up to date. Well for the record 19.04 won't print on the lenovo either. I haven't tried scanning yet.

I tried the download you suggest, but now on Mate 19.04. No printing still, haven't tried scanning.

you could try to log gscan2pdf

check that scanner is turned on then connect usb cable
then run this command but the name of log you can change

gscan2pdf --log=scan.log

scan log will be in your home dir