Can't change theme for Mate Window Applets - Window Buttons

Hello,

I am running Ubuntu MATE 18.04, and am unable to change the theme for Mate Window Applets - Window Buttons.
I am attempting to change the theme of Mate Window Applets - Window Buttons from Ambiant-MATE to Arc-Darker. Every time I attempt to change the theme, after relaunching mate-panel, any theme other than Ambiant-MATE causes Mate Window Applets - Window Buttons to default back to out of place, pure black buttons that look like they have been scaled up.

This does in no way a game breaking bug, nor something that inhibits my ability to use UM, but I do find it to be a rather annoying paper cut.

Cheers

Hi @Flamestar,

have you tried to customise the window border????:

:smiley:

1 Like

I have.

I use a mix of Blue Sub for Controls, Arc-Darker for Window Borders, and Ambiant-MATE for icons.

So far the method of changing the button theme for Mate Window Applets - Window Buttons (that I have found) is to manually specify the name of the theme to use. However, anything other that Ambiant-MATE results in those fallback icons mentioned in the OP.

I don’t speak for the developers but my understanding is that some recent projects have been progressing slowly over the last several years.

For example this important fix: …

… only seems to work for Ambiant-MATE*; Radiant-MATE; BlackMATE & GreenLaguna and none of the other in-house themes, and has been that way since the fix was released 10 months ago.

Of course we must distinguish between MATE Desktop specific projects like those GTK3 theme ports and the projects the Ubuntu MATE team decided to focus on in the past, but the good news is I read recently that the UM devs are going to instead focus on making everything solid.

So I have full confidence that the MATE Window Applet will one day support more themes eventually.

I got the Numix buttons from here:

2 Likes

Thanks @gabdub!

This worked, and now I have Arc buttons for the MATE Window Applet!

2 Likes