Can't find how to enable workspace switcher

basically, where the he** do I find the apps like workspace switcher?

I am not sure what you mean by “apps” when referring to the Workspace Switcher

You can switch workspaces in one of two main ways.

Either by keyboard shortcut which is:

CTRL/ALT/ LEFT or RIGHT arrow to decide which workspace you want.

Or, if it is not already on the bottom right hand end of your bottom panel (or on any other panel), you can place the workspace switcher applet on the panel by right-clicking on the panel and choosing “add to panel”. Then choose “workspace switcher” from the list. Once there, you choose the workspace you want by clicking it on the applet.

The applet can, in fact, be placed on any panel.

Press and hold down Ctrl+Alt and then press an arrow key.

Press Ctrl+Alt+Shift and an arrow key to move a window between workspaces.

Right click a windows title bar and select an option.

Is that what you wanted?

Thanks so much - that’s what i wanted.

And excuse the grumpiness, please. I’ve moved over from Mint and sometimes the small differences are monstrously annoying :grinning:

1 Like

Hello - I am also wanting to use the multiple workspace/desktops in Ubuntu Mate 18.04. I had no idea it was available until this afternoon. I’m new enough to not know where it is. I’m currently switching between the Cupertino/Pantheon layouts. How do I find the switcher applet, and place it on the top bar? If someone could walk me through it, I would be grateful.

Multiple desktops are great on my iMac, I’d like to use it on my new MATE laptop - Jason

right click on one of the panels and choose “add to panel”

Scroll down the list of available panel add-ons until you find “workplace switcher”. Then choose it

Like most operating systems, it’s worth delving into every menu option, nook and cranny to find what options there are, and what functionality remains hidden. A lot of the time there’s just no way of knowing beforehand.

holy moley, it worked! I’m going to look everywhere now :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like