Can't open "Displays" option

I’m running Ubuntu Mate on Ubuntu 16.04.1 and everytime i try to click on Displays icon, i get this

** (mate-settings-daemon:13725): WARNING **: Unable to start xrandr manager: RANDR extension is too old (must be at least 1.3)

if i run xrandr --version, i get this output

xrandr program version       1.5.0
Server reports RandR version 1.2

any help?

It is complaining about the RandR extension, which is distributed by the libxrandr2 package and that is currently at version 1.5, not 1.2.

Install that package from the repository.

but that’s i don’t understand… libxrandr2 is installed and updated…

libxrandr2 is already the newest version (2:1.5.0-1)

as i wrote in my prev message, if i run this xrandr --version, i get this output

Server reports RandR version 1.2

and i don’t know what it means… it says xrandr version 1.5.0… but the server reports 1.2… what the heck?

What X display server are you using? What graphic card? Look in /var/log/Xorg.0.log to see what driver you are using. All of the display drivers in 16.04.1 should be 1.5 -

Server reports RandR version 1.5

Did this occure after upgrade ?

It’s a dedicated server, so no graphic card… i’m using x2goserver and before 16.04.1 i could open “Displays” option… after the upgrade anymore…

So you are connecting remotely . I did not know about this protocol . So basicly it seems that the remote server has version 1.2 of xrandr and your current machine has 1.5 witch are incompatible . They have to be the same version . Either find a way to downgrade xrandr on your local machine or upgrade the server libs . @Dave_Barnes is right .

@JohnnyKing94,

You really need to install the package I told you. :slight_smile:
Since you are using X2Go, you need to do it on the server where you are connecting to, since your local X server (if any) will not be used.