Can't open Ubuntu MATE 16.04

I installed Ubuntu MATE with a pen-drive, the installation went fine but when I turn on the PC it boots up directly to Windows. I don’t know why but grub just doesn’t appear. What should I do now? I already tried re-installing Ubuntu Mate but nothing happened.

There’s a tool called “Boot Repair” that you can use: boot the live-usb, you can access it through the “Welcome” splash screen.

I just tried that. It doesn´t work.

You have not mentioned whether your system is bios or uefi based
Please look over Community WIKI and post back if you require further assistance

1 Like

Hi John,

did you install in persistent mode or do a full install to the hard drive?, is your PC set to boot from USB if you used persistence?:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD/Persistence

1 Like

Just a though but does your bios have a boot menu? The hard drive may have a higher boot priority than USB.

Did you tell your computer to boot from USB? On my computer I have to press F8 to get a boot menu. In that menu a can then choose my USB drive.

The bios is set to boot first usb and then the hard drive. Should I set the boot order first hdd and then usb? Thanks in advance

I installed Ubuntu MATE in a 100 GB partition of the hard drive.

Where did you instruct the boot loader to be installed?

In the Hard drive. .

Is your computer bios or uefi? It makes a huge difference

Also, what is your partition set up like?:

I solved the problem. Windows 10 has a feature called fast startup, I had to disable it.

2 Likes

Please mark your thread solved to benefit others having similar problems.

In this case your last post … it’s quite acceptable to solve your own problem

2 Likes

How do I mark the thread as solved?

I should have been more accurate with my wording ... mark it as a solution which you've figured out ...