Can't run OSDisk USB Ubuntu MATE 15.10 on Lenovo Flex 3-1480

I bought a 32 GB USB from OSDisk with Ubuntu MATE 15.10 and can’t get it to run on my Lenovo Flex 3.1480. I fixed the boot sequence in the BIOS and the USB displays a menu with four choices. I ran the “Check disk for defects” with no errors.

When I run the “Try Ubuntu MATE without installing” option, It gets stuck after about a minute. The error message is:
--------------- error start
[ 0.079371] Ignoring BGRT: Invalid Status 0 (expected 1)
[ 0.313459] platform MSFT0101:00: failed to claim resource 1
[ 0.314868] acpi MSFT0101:00: platform device creation failed: -16
[ 11.467786] usbhid 1-1.3:.1 couldn’t find an input interrupt endpoint

BusyBox v1.22.1 (Ubuntu 1:1.22.0-15ubuntu1) built-in shell )ash)
Enter ‘help’ for a list of built-in commands.

(initramfs) _
----------------- error end

I googled the first message and it is apparently harmless.
The fourth message goes away when I remove my HDMI external monitor and KVM USB switch. The monitor and keyboard worked, by the way.

The results of googling the other two errors was not useful.

I have installed a number of Linuxes over the years. The last being Ubuntu 8.04, a while ago. All from CD’s, and I never tried to run from the CD without installing.

Can someone tell me what to do about these MSFT0101:00 errors?

Thanks

Hi,

press any key as soon as you see the little keyboard symbol, press F6 and select “noapci” from the list and press enter twice!. :smiley:

No “little keyboard symbol” ever appears! The only graphic that appears is the Ubuntu MATE logo with the progress bar dots.

At the bottom of my boot screen, there is a “e” option to edit the
boot command.

I looked at a suggested topic: Start UbuntuMATE without ACPI
There is an image of the “keyboard image” and related booting options.

The above post had a See Also: Boot-Options changes in recent versions
This suggested adding boot options both before and after the two “–”.

I used the “e” option and the boot command has three “—” at the end
of the line. I’m not sure how this relates to two “–”. I put “noacpi”
before and after the “—”. This failed the same as before.

I tried just one “noacpi” before the “—” Same failure.

Any other ideas that I can try?

You are trying this from a “Live CD” aren’t you?.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

No, it is NOT a CD. It is a USB Flash drive, purchased from OSDisk with Ubuntu MATE 15.10 on it. I have no idea if there are any differences from an actual CDROM. I had previously found the BootOptions link you mention. Those screens do not appear.

I can get to a screen similar to the: “Changing the CD Boot Option Configuration Line”, section of the BootOptions, though. My guesses as to what to put on the boot command line, did not work.

Hi,

if it is a Live CD (USB stick), press any key at the very beginning of the boot process and then you should see the main Grub menu, then press F6 and select “acpi=off” or “noapci”.

Or did you install it to the USB stick in persistent mode?.

I did not install anything, yet! I purchased a USB stick from OSDisk with Ubuntu MATE 15.10 on it. It is a 32 GB stick. A few specs below:
Bit Version: 64-bit
Media Type: Install, Live
Persistence: Yes
Drive Interface: USB 3.0/2.0

So, yes, the USB stick was installed in persistence mode.

Okay, when you start your PC with the USB inserted, as soon as you start, press the “Shift” key and the menu should open, then you can make a selection, see this link for further details, you need to edit the Grub file on the stick to make it permanent!. :smiley:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2

Holding the SHIFT key while booting does nothing! The default grub menu comes up, the same as pressing no keys.

I have “GNU GRUB version 2.02~beta2.29” displayed at the top of the screen.
Four options are listed:
Try Ubuntu MATE without installing
Install Ubuntu MATE
OEM install (for manufacturers)
Check for disk defects

On the bottom of the screen is the help. This is the same as on the first screen on your link.

As indicated in my second post, I tried the “e” command, which allows editing the commands before booting. I tried a few things then, which failed.

Today I tried something a bit different: I added "acpi=off – acpi=off " at the end of the boot commands line, just before the “—”.

This did get to the same place as before, but without the ACPI errors. The prompt is:

BusyBox v1.22.1 (Ubuntu 1:1.22.0-15ubuntu1) built-in shell )ash)Enter ‘help’ for a list of built-in commands.

(initramfs) _

There is absolutely no help on this screen! (other then hit “help” …)
"help’ lists dozens of commands, but I haven’t the slightest idea of which one(s) may be of use.

Try using the above.

There must be a space after the double hyphen!:

** – noapci**

I removed the triple “—” Didn’t help.
“acpi=off” before the “–” removes the all three error messages, but still stops at this prompt:
------ prompt start
BusyBox v1.22.1 (Ubuntu 1:1.22.0-15ubuntu1) built-in shell )ash)
Enter ‘help’ for a list of built-in commands.

(initramfs) _
------ prompt end

“noacpi” does nothing, the error messages are still there.

I suspect I’m not supposed to see the (initramfs) prompt. Am I?

In any event, I have no clue what do do when I get there.

Try using “nomodeset” instead of noapci!. :smiley:

The only other idea I have is to start your PC in BIOS (I assume press F2 at boot) and then look for the reset function (normally F10), reboot and go back into to BIOS again and look for the UEFI (if any) settings and make sure they are off or set to boot from “Legacy”!.

Try the Lenovo knowledge base too!:

No help! I tried the nomodeset.
I changed the BIOS to use Legacy Mode.
I can still edit the boot command line.
I tried nomodeset and acpi=off, together.

I always get the same (initramfs). Sometimes without the acpi errors (with acpi=off) other times with the acpi errors. There is a variation of the screen graphics, splash screen, font size, terminal emulator, etc. But I always wnd up in the same place.

The Lenovo link is a different problem than I have.

I’ll look at the Lenovo site for other posts that may be useful.

This makes me think that the USB stick is the problem, you said you bought it pre-made but the question is, was the stick correctly formatted before the ISO was created on it?.

Do you have anywhere you can go and try your stick on a different PC?, if so, try it out on a couple of laptops/PC’s and see if the message still shows!. :confused:

None of the other posts on the Lenovo site were relevant.

I have a very old (>10 years) Dell laptop. I tried it there, no good. Then I realized that I ordered the 64 bit OS, and the Dell, being so old, may be 32 bit. I checked, it is.

I also have a few month old Mac mini, which is 64 bit. It took some digging to figure out how to boot to a USB drive. I tried this and there are two boot-able images on the USB drive. One labeled Windows the other labeled EFI.

Booting the Windows partition gave a black screen, and that is all.
Booting to the EFI partition gave the same Grub 2.02 screen I got on my Lenovo in the default UEFI mode. The “try without install” option went to a black screen. Which is even worse than the Leonvo.

Those are the only working computers I have.

I would say that the stick is not fully working and that is why you are having problems?, do you have another USB stick you can use and create your own Live CD or USB with it?:

Download a 32 bit ISO even if your PC is 64 bit, as long as your PC isn’t over 4GB RAM, it won’t matter!, it can be installed or just used for test purposes!.

MAKE SURE YOU FULLY FORMAT THE USB STICK TO FAT32 BEFORE YOU START!.

If you are going to use Windblows:

On an Ubuntu rig:

with Unetbootin:

If you use a CD:

One other thing, if you put a 64 bit Live CD or USB stick on a 32 bit system PC, you will get the message “Wrong architecture”!, did you see such a message?. :smiley:

I bought the USB stick with Ubuntu MATE on it because I didn’t want to go through the hassle of downloading, burning a CD or USB stick, etc. I’ve always bought Linux CDs in the past, this is the first time I bought it on a flash drive. Most computers don’t come with CD drives any more, anyway.

And, no, there were no errors about architecture, even on my 32 bit Dell!

Well the ball is in your court now as I don’t have any other advice for you, you can overwrite the stick you bought following the instructions provided above or send it back to the seller!.

If you take it easy and follow the instructions, it really isn’t that difficult, the only thing to really be aware of is the pre-formatting (fully) of the USB stick prior to creating your bootable media stick!. :smiley:

Good luck!. :smiley:

For what it’s worth, judging by the alsa-driver/+question/276755 it appears that booting and installing Ubuntu 14.04.3 is/was possible (albeit without working sound and wireless).