Can't see wireless networks

Hi, I can’t seem to find a way to get any wireless networks to show up. My wireless adapter is a Realtek RTL8723AE.

I’ve tried following instructions here: Wireless Driver Missing

and also tried downloading the windows driver and installing those via ndisgtk, to no avail.

Does anyone have this same network card? Any ideas? The ethernet works just fine.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

try the deb package from here (or search for a different package if you cannot get that one to work!):

https://packages.debian.org/search?suite=default&section=all&arch=any&searchon=names&keywords=firmware-realtek

You can also try Windows Wireless tool:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/Ndiswrapper

Did you try the additonal drivers tool?:

Control Center > Hardware > Additional Drivers and wait for it to load and see if it shows any drivers for your wireless device!:

See also:

Hi, thanks for the response. Do you install those packages via the software center? I found that link in my search but I didn’t know how to get the package.

I tried the windows wireless tool, that didn’t work for me. Nothing is showing in additional drivers.

I’ll try the package you linked as soon as I can figure out how to install it!

Sorry, I’m a relative neophyte to Linux.

Hi,

download a deb package and then install it with the app “Gdebi”, to install Gdebi first, open a terminal and paste the following command:

sudo apt-get install gdebi

if the package gdebi isn’t already installed!..

Right click the downloaded package > Open with > Gdebi and let it do its thing!.

Make sure you download either a 32 bit or 64 bit package depending on your system, packages ending all.deb work on both systems!.

Hope it helps!. :smiley:

I really appreciate your help. Apparently it wants to make us both work for it!

I got this error when trying to install via gdebi: Darn, it looks as though I can’ t upload images.

Well, it basically says this:

(Reading database ... 165275 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../firmware-realtek_0.43~bpo70+1_all.deb ...
Unpacking firmware-realtek (0.43~bpo70+1) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /home/patrick/Downloads/firmware-realtek_0.43~bpo70+1_all.deb (--install):
 trying to overwrite '/lib/firmware/RTL8192E/main.img', which is also in package linux-firmware 1.143.3
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /home/patrick/Downloads/firmware-realtek_0.43~bpo70+1_all.deb

From what I’ve gathered, I need to remove one of the packages, I just don’t want to screw anything up too badly.

Hi,

try a different approach, use the following 2 commands and see if that helps?:

sudo apt-get –fix-missing install

The above command downloads and installs any missing packages on your system.

sudo apt-get –fix-broken install

The above command downloads and installs any broken dependencies on your system.

Well, because it was early on, I ended up doing a complete reinstall. Then I ran my updates and everything is detected just fine. I have no idea what I did differently. I think this time I ran them from terminal.

At any rate, thank you so much for your help with this. I really appreciate it.

1 Like