Can't set folder's color global in caja

After upgrade from Ubuntu Mate 17.04 to 17.10 I can’t set any color from “Folder’s color Caja” global because there is no option to set Folder’s color in Caja “global”…

Any idea to fix it?

I provided the colored folders icons for the Ambiant/Radiant MATE theme used in 17.10, after asking FC’s creator for guidelines. IIRC, the option has been completely removed from recent versions of FC. (See message #6 on the bug report/wishlist.)

hmm… :frowning:

The “global-folder” function is hopefully added in the next FC Update again…

I doubt it, as it’s apparently been removed to maintain the code more easily.

It irritates me every folder individually to change. (Colour)

Sure, if you start to set colors on every folder, it will take a long time. It would be easier to have a blue (or red, or yellow, or whatever) variant of Ambiant MATE. I can look into it if you want, though it’ll imply having a lot of themes in the Appearance settings to choose from.

I use Ambiant-Mate_Theme.

Yes, I know. :wink:

What I meant was that I can work on variant themes like Ambiant-MATE Blue, Ambiant-MATE Red, etc. that will have default folders of a different color than green, so you don’t have to recolor all your folders one by one through FC.

This would be great. :slight_smile:
PLS: Ambiant-Mate Red, Cyan, Black

Ok, I’ve made some variant Ambiant-MATE and Radiant-MATE with colors that match the ones for FC, so people can have a different base color for folders.

Note that:

• I’ve chosen to replace only the folders (as it’s meant as an alternative to the missing global color option in Folder Color), so elements of the interface like arrows and such keep the green MATE tint that match the Gtk theme;
  • When doing the colored folders in Ambiant-MATE, we chose not to include the green tint as the default folders were already green; these new themes add the green color but unlike the original theme they’ll also show their own color in FC’s options; this can be considered a bug but to do it properly, I’d need to make complete themes rather than just replacing the folders and I won’t do that as it’s a ton of work.

I’ve created a .deb for easy installation, available here. It’s a bit quick and dirty and Lintian might complain that it’s not properly made but it works. And sorry, but I don’t have a repository to host it, you’ll have to install (and eventually maintain) it manually.

Tell me if you notice issues with the themes, missing icons and such.

I will try it. Thanks!

In LogViewer:

bamfdaemon[3097]: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:27:49: Junk at end of value for background-color
bamfdaemon[3097]: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:40:55: Junk at end of value for background-color
bamfdaemon[3097]: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:48:54: Junk at end of value for background-color
bamfdaemon[3097]: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:59:58: Junk at end of value for background-color
bamfdaemon[3097]: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:66:28: The :prelight pseudo-class is deprecated. Use :hover instead.
bamfdaemon[3097]: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:70:46: Junk at end of value for background-color
bamfdaemon[3097]: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:77:35: The :prelight pseudo-class is deprecated. Use :hover instead.
bamfdaemon[3097]: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:81:58: Junk at end of value for background-color
bamfdaemon[3097]: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:123:31: The :insensitive pseudo-class is deprecated. Use :disabled instead.
bamfdaemon[3097]: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:124:24: The :insensitive pseudo-class is deprecated. Use :disabled instead.
bamfdaemon[3097]: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:156:27: The :insensitive pseudo-class is deprecated. Use :disabled instead.
bamfdaemon[3097]: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:157:29: The :insensitive pseudo-class is deprecated. Use :disabled instead.
bamfdaemon[3097]: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:177:34: The :insensitive pseudo-class is deprecated. Use :disabled instead.

notification-ar[3130]: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:27:49: Junk at end of value for background-color
notification-ar[3130]: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:40:55: Junk at end of value for background-color
notification-ar[3130]: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:48:54: Junk at end of value for background-color
notification-ar[3130]: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:59:58: Junk at end of value for background-color
notification-ar[3130]: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:66:28: The :prelight pseudo-class is deprecated. Use :hover instead.
notification-ar[3130]: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:70:46: Junk at end of value for background-color
notification-ar[3130]: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:77:35: The :prelight pseudo-class is deprecated. Use :hover instead.
notification-ar[3130]: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:81:58: Junk at end of value for background-color
notification-ar[3130]: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:123:31: The :insensitive pseudo-class is deprecated. Use :disabled instead.
notification-ar[3130]: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:124:24: The :insensitive pseudo-class is deprecated. Use :disabled instead.
notification-ar[3130]: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:156:27: The :insensitive pseudo-class is deprecated. Use :disabled instead.
notification-ar[3130]: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:157:29: The :insensitive pseudo-class is deprecated. Use :disabled instead.
notification-ar[3130]: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:177:34: The :insensitive pseudo-class is deprecated. Use :disabled instead.
notification-ar[3130]: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:199:34: The :inconsistent pseudo-class is deprecated. Use :indeterminate instead.

how to fix it?

When does this happen?

These are errors with a Gtk theme. Most of them are minor (usage of deprecated classes), others might trigger rendering issues but in any case, these are bugs in a Gtk theme you use. Not sure which one. There’s not really things you can fix on your side.

These errors are in Ambiant-Mate Theme.

by the way… do you know how to set DBUS_SESSION_BUSS_ADDRESS globaly in Mate?

These errors are in Ambiant-Mate Theme.

Well, these are issues with the theme itself. So, at best, you can report them and/or fix the CSS if you’re familiar with Gtk3 themeing.

by the way… do you know how to set DBUS_SESSION_BUSS_ADDRESS globaly in Mate?

Not sure why you’d want to do that (it might not be a good idea to fiddle with dbus) but maybe in ~/.bashrc or ~/.profile? Or do you mean for all users?

I mean for my user in home folder…

I put this in: .bash_profile
export DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=“unix:path=/home/nwo/.dbus/session-bus/4d5493466a7c13d787e3d8a15a4a357c-0”

is this correct? or better put in .profile or .bashrc?

I edited in: /lib/systemd/system/dbus.socket

[Unit]
Description=D-Bus System Message Bus Socket

[Socket]
ListenStream=/home/nwo/.dbus/session-bus/4d5493466a7c13d787e3d8a15a4a357c-0

Try in .bashrc rather than .bash_profile.

But I’m not familiar with dbus enough: I don’t know if you can change it that way, if the id is generated at each boot and so on.

ok, I’ll try it :wink: