Cd/dvd rom drive will not mount

Did you ever get qpxtool to show that the drive had detected the media? The image you posted says “No Media”.

Here is sudo smartctl -Aa /dev/sr0

qpxtools shows no media with both cd and dvd in it. I think I can borrow a drive from work and see if that works. ??

Thanks for your time and efforts,

dsoren00

1 Like

Hi guys,

I put in a blank DVD+r disk and it mounted as “Blank DVD+R Disc.” ?

dsoren00

I ask the fstab questions before because when I try to mount it via the terminal, I get:

can't find in /etc/fstab

Thanks for the help,
dsoren00

I put in a couple of old disks that I had burned pictures too, and they worked. ??? Mystery deepens.

dsoren00

I have tried several dvd’s and cd’s. It mounts audio cds and dvd’s that I had burned as a blank disks, but at least is sees them as blank media. It still does not recognize bought cd’s or dvd’s. I am using VLC Media Player. ?? I would think it would have all the up-to-date codex’s at such. ??? Try a different player?

dsoren00

At this point, why not. You two have been through the hoops on this one. I would suggest Totem Player. I find it simple and reliable, but mileage can vary :slight_smile:

When you put an audio CD in the drive do you get an "Audio Disc" icon on the desktop?

When you try to play an audio CD with VLC are you selecting "Audio CD" and "/dev/cdrom"?

You need to install "libdvdcss" to play videos from DVD.

sudo apt install libdvd-pkg
sudo dpkg-reconfigure libdvd-pkg

You haven't needed anything in /etc/fstab to read CDs and DVDs for years.

1 Like

Tip: There's also a one-click install in :ubuntu_mate: Welcome → Getting Started → Updates (& Extras) → DVD Playback Support, which installs a libdvdcss2 package from VLC's repository.

2 Likes

“Just call me Doctor Terminal” – apologies to KISS

1 Like

no icon. I’ve installed the libdvdcss and the cd ones, libcd …Yes I have done it all… when I put a disc that I burned, cd or dvd, a “blank disc” icon shows up, but still will not “see” the music or dvd on the disk. the drive worked with a disk I burned that had photos on it. I do have audio cd checked and appropriate device selected.

Dave

I’ve installed the lib for cd before but I guess I can try again…what is it? libcd…

“… when I put a disc that I burned, cd or dvd, a “blank disc” icon shows up …”

You did finalize the CD-R / DVD-R?

The CD library is libcdio13 and libcdio-cdda1

Please verify that you can not read a commercially prepared DVD or CD.

Yes they are commercially prepared cd’s and dvd’s. I will add the lib…files again

thanks,
dsoren00

I just think it is strange that there is “no media found” on the commercial bought cd/dvd’s and it will not mount anything, and with one’s I burned a long time ago at least show up as a blank disk.

I was also thinking, what good would a different player be if the computer is seeing “no media” and no mounting anything. Still nothing mounts to even try and play. Computer doesn’t see anything, so trying a different player wouldn’t help…

dsoren00

Your problem is really odd. The only thing I can think of is that the drive has some sort of copy protection that prevents CDs and DVDs from being accessed.

Sorry you are having so much trouble.

“Still nothing mounts to even try and play. Computer doesn’t see anything, so trying a different player wouldn’t help…”

The drive is telling the computer that it has no media. Sure sounds like copy protection :sob:

Anyone got any ideas?

It played everything before. ?? Yea, crazy. I do appreciate everyone’s help.

dsoren00

disk permission issue?? last thing I can think of. ???

dsoren00

when I look at the drive’s properties, it says “permission can not be determined.” reaching for straws.

dsoren00