Change the caja bookmarks file to GTK-3.0 on 18.04

I make few modifications to mate-panel and caja to use the new gtk-3.0 bookmarks file ($HOME/.config/gtk-3.0/bookmarks) instead of the old one ($HOME/.gtk-bookmarks). So, you can have all the shortcuts (Documents, Images, Download, ...) in the places menu applet by default :

If you want to test, use the command xdg-user-dirs-gtk-update to create the file with the default folder. For example :

file:///home/jack/Documents
file:///home/jack/Musique
file:///home/jack/Images
file:///home/jack/Vid%C3%A9os
file:///home/jack/T%C3%A9l%C3%A9chargements

Download the deb files (amd64 only) here : dl.free.fr/c51YvwbWN
Extract the file and use the command : sudo dpkg -i *.deb
Restart the computer and test.

I made patch files about the few modification that I made (from apt-get source caja mate-panel) :

If someone can test it and tell me if it work. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Installed the deb files and...

Nice work :slight_smile:

Another thought

I’m running a virtual machine so removal of this modification is easy, but what would be the correct way to remove if on a standard install? I do not think dpkg would do a good job of cleaning this up, maybe it will.

For caja, use this command to reinstall the official deb package :

sudo apt-get install -V caja=1.16.1-1 caja-common=1.16.1-1 gir1.2-caja=1.16.1-1 libcaja-extension-doc=1.16.1-1 libcaja-extension1=1.16.1-1

For mate-panel :

sudo apt-get install -V libmate-panel-applet-4-1=1.16.0-1 mate-panel=1.16.0-1 mate-panel-common=1.16.0-1

1 Like

dl.free.fr is blocked in my country. Please give a different link.

In the upcoming MATE 1.20 (which will go into Ubuntu MATE 18.04) the migration to ~/.config/gtk-3.0/bookmarks finally happened. Caja, mate-panel and Pluma’s filebrowser plugin will use that location.

We don’t have a proper migration path from ~/.gtk-bookmarks yet though. If you have the old bookmark file and don’t have a new one, Caja will read the old one as a fallback; however, if the new file exists, Caja will only read it, not reaching the old one. Need a bit more work to do here.