Change ubuntu mate splash screen

Hi, i want to change my ubuntu mate splash screen on start up but the file tells me to copy a folder to a location that is not their. the location is /lib/plymouth/themes but that location is not their. i have also tried doing the same thing as root but to no luck. Can i just make the folder and so the stuff and it work or do i need to put the folder in a different location?

The Plymouth themes are now in:

/usr/share/plymouth/themes

ok great got the file put in place and install the splash screen as the website said but now it does not show them splash screen. What now? i reinstalled it many times but nothin. can someone please help me?

Your not giving us anything to go on.

What theme are you installing? From where did you download it?

here is the link for what i am trying to install and where i am getting it from. Yes i am a brony so dont ask.

Ok I tried installing it, but its not working for me. Here’s the steps I took:

First unpack it in /usr/share/plymouth/themes

and then…

m16@m16:~$ sudo update-alternatives --config default.plymouth
[sudo] password for m16:
There are 3 choices for the alternative default.plymouth (providing /usr/share/plymouth/themes/default.plymouth).

Selection Path Priority Status

• 0 /usr/share/plymouth/themes/ubuntu-mate-logo/ubuntu-mate-logo.plymouth 150 auto mode
    1 /usr/share/plymouth/themes/colors/colors.plymouth 100 manual mode
    2 /usr/share/plymouth/themes/ubuntu-mate-logo/ubuntu-mate-logo-scale-2.plymouth 149 manual mode
    3 /usr/share/plymouth/themes/ubuntu-mate-logo/ubuntu-mate-logo.plymouth 150 manual mode

Press enter to keep the current choice[*], or type selection number: 1
update-alternatives: using /usr/share/plymouth/themes/colors/colors.plymouth to provide /usr/share/plymouth/themes/default.plymouth (default.plymouth) in manual mode
m16@m16:~$ sudo update-initramfs -u
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.4.0-28-generic

Perhaps someone else knows another way, but sorry I do not.

Have you checked the permissions on the image? You have to make sure it’s readable. Try: chmod 644 [filename] You may need sudo if it’s already located in /usr/share/plymouth/themes

Try this:

http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2016/04/install-grub-customizer-ubuntu-16-04-lts/

sorry but nothin works. i would try the grub-customizer but that is for customizing grub and i want to customize the boot screen of my ubuntu mate machine.

Afaik, it is also for customizing the theme as well?. :smiley:

See also:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Displays

nope nothin if anything it made my grub not show what it is suppost to.

Maybe first customise Grub and then the theme?. :smiley:

i looked through it and found nothin. at this point it is more than likely a lost cause

I don’t know so try this very simple guide here:

http://ubuntuguide.net/beautify-grub-2-boot-loader-by-installing-themes

The splash screen is powered by Plymouth. @v3xx’s post earlier is the way to do it.

GRUB isn’t involved in the splash screen. @wolfman’s post is referring to customising the boot menu. :point_up_2:

It could be possible this Plymouth theme is simply incompatible, or could be an issue with the folder structure or even the permissions.

Try forcing the permissions so root definitely has read access:

sudo chown -R root:root /usr/share/plymouth/themes/colors/
sudo chmod -R 700 /usr/share/plymouth/themes/colors/

at this point i think you are right about it not being compatible. so i more then likely put it back to the stock boot splash screen and i will also have to find a way to get the original grub boot menu back to the way it was.

To be honest @Dudefoxlive, is it really worth all the fuss?, when the PC boots, you see the screen for about 60 - 90 seconds and that’s it!. :smiley:

I personally don’t bother about such things, I press the power button, walk away and come back to a fully booted PC!. :smiley:

1 Like

i really just wanted to do this because linux is so customizable and when i turn my pc on i sit and wait for it to power on right in from of it.

Hi @Dudefoxlive,

what about this one then?: