Changing Sound Output

Hi

A second problem I have is that I have connected an amp to the raspberi pi that I have connected basic speakers to. When I run the raspberi pi at the moment, it is connected to my main pc screen with a HDMI cable.

The sound on the Pi automatically defaults to go through my screen and I don’t appear to have an option to adjust the sound output on the pi to go through the amp and not the hdmi. When I used Raspbian Jesse, there was an option to change the output of the sound.

Would you know how I would change the pi with Mate to ignore the hdmi sound and default to an external amp output.

Kind Regards

Ian

Hi @sarian90,

have you checked in sound preferences to see what output hardware is being used?:

Hi

Here is a screenshot of what is listed

This seems to still default to the HDMI cable, rather than the amp I have attached.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Ian

Hi

I double checked and the bottom option titled ‘Connector’ that has Analog Output, doesn’t give me any other options.

I noticed on your earlier screenshot that you have ‘Line Out’ as an option.

I imagine that is what I may need. But how to get sound to give me that option is the problem?

Regards

Ian

Hi Ian,

take a look here as I don’t have a Raspi device so cannot really help you furhter:

In my /boot/config.txt I have:

sdtv_mode=2 sdtv_aspect=2 hdmi_force_hotplug=1 hdmi_drive=2 hdmi_force_edid_audio=1 dtparam=audio=on
I don’t think all of these are necessary to get the sound to HDMI - but a look at the config notes in that file should clarify matters.
Derek

1 Like

Hi

It is actually getting the sound to move from the HDMI to a line out to an amp that is the problem.

Wolfmans suggestion worked except I seem to have a delay with the sound on the pi.

I did decide try to reinstall raspbian jesse again but struck problems with the sd card so reinstalled ubuntu mate and will have to try this all again.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

Regards

Ian

1 Like