Changing the login WIndow

Hello,

As you can see below, there are some difference between the clean install 22.04 Control Center , Administration section and my own 20.04 one. 3 possibilities are missing.

I've installed 'Synaptic Package Mgr' myself, and I will probably do that again, and I'm working to add 'Users and Groups' via another question ( Unable to add a new user ) But 'Login Windows' is also missing.

Because I sometimes use my daily driver to demonstrate Linux, Ubuntu and Mate in particular, I'd like to impress people with a magnificent logon-screen. I can't do it from a standard 22.04 install.

• will it be solved when my probleem with the gnome-system-tools is solved ?
  • can I find this functonality elswhere ?

Regards,
Jan

2 Likes

will it be solved when my probleem with the gnome-system-tools is solved ?

No

can I find this functonality elswhere ?

Not as such:
The arctica-greeter responsible for the loginscreen on 22.04 is not compatible with the login changer.

Solutions:

1. You can revert to slick-greeter to get the functionality back
    (done that on my system, a very good solution)

2. You can use the workarounds mentioned in the thread below:

(One is a bash based GUI to change background, the other one is just changing the backgroundpicture in the corresponding directory.)

Hello,

I am amazed that a component is kept despite the fact that it reduces functionality. Because the "Login Windows"'s functionality goes beyond simple background changing. IMO, this is a step back.

Nice, and does it work on 22.04 too?

I'm a bit scared about the very long command. I'm not afraid of the CLI, but this is ... big.

It only solves the problem of the bg, not other functionality.

It will have to do ... :frowning:

Regards

Norbert's instructions for reverting back to slick-greeter work for 22.04.

4 Likes