Check cable connection; No bootable device

Hey there,
I installed Ubuntu MATE 18.04 on my Lenovo G570 (CPU: Intel Core i3-2310M, GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000) notebook and it work fine but after approximately one month it didn't boot and ntb listed this error:

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0 (build 083)
Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

For Atheros PCIE Ethernet Controller v2.0.2.3(05/18/10)

Check cable connection!
PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM
No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

When i replaced my Ubuntu SSD (with this problem) with my old HDD with windows 7 installed, it boot and worked fine, but when i replaced it with Ubuntu SSD, same problem appeared.
I tried fix it in BIOS, but in my BIOS setup aren't almost any booting options.
I find lots of solutions of this topics, but first: it were for windows, and second: any of these were working.

Thank you for any replies :slight_smile:

The one time I got that error the hard drive was shot and had to be replaced. I was using my laptop and had needed to reboot, and when the computer restarted the hard drive was done. It happened that fast. My laptop would only boot from a CD\DVD or USB drive with an OS.
I can't say for sure that is your problem, but it certainly could be it.

Really looks like your drive went broken. Can you try extracting it and give a shot on a other computer ?

Hi,
Yes, thats exactly my problem. I tried to boot Ubuntu MATE 18.04 from USB Flash drive and it worked. But insteresting thing happend: i had pluged in my USB drive and to boot i selected hard drive (that broken SSD), and it somehow booted flash drive. But thats just off-the-way story i guess..

Hello,
thank you for this idea! I tried to boot this hard drive on my friend's laptop (HP Compaq 6730b - CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8400, GPU: Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family), and it listed this:

Non-system disk or disk error
replace and strike any key when ready

It's pretty the same as last error so i think my SSD is broken as you said.
So there's nothing i can do about that than buying new hard drive.

Arfff ... bad luck ...
You can try also to boot a other computer with a linux and plug it with a SATA to USB adapter with hopes to recover some data, but I guess a SSD dead, you have low chances to recover something ...

I tried to make from my Desktop PC a little recovery station - i unpluged every hard drive (because i don't want to broke anything else... ) and pluged in my broken SSD and Bootable Ubuntu Mate 18.04 USB Flash drive. System didn't recognized any other drive than flash drive so there is no chance to get data from that SSD.

But there must be some sort of reason why this isssue happens. It can't just broke itself, can it?

Yes it can. Hard drives fail. That is why 'Backing Up" is so important. SSD drives fail less frequently than HDD (disk drives), but they fail.

https://www.contegix.com/blog/do-solid-state-drives-fail-more-often-hard-disks
"SSDs, on the other hand, are purely semiconductor devices with no moving parts. The semiconductor technology, called flash memory, has a peculiar failure mode all its own. Every time one of the device’s storage cells is written to, that cell is degraded to a small extent. As the writes add up, eventually the storage cells are degraded to the point that they can no longer accept data, and no more writes are possible."
also:
"SSDs are growing more in popularity everyday. Their speed is now not the only thing they have in their favor. They are now capable of storing as much as their HDD predecessors, the price is decreasing, and now you’ve learned, they are more reliable. If you’d like to know more about the impact of SSD technology on the future of data storage, please contact us."

The "flash" also applies to USB drives, they will not last forever. This is also why you should never defrag a SSD drive.

Ok, i understand this. I was just surprised that i have this SSD 1 month and it failed so soon, and on the other hand i have 4 years old system HDD, that works perfectly.

Is it under warranty? I would certainly check, one month sounds like a manufacturing problem.

Yep, it is under warranty. Tomorow i'll go to shop return it :slight_smile:
By the way manufacturer of this SSD is GIGABYTE (more precisely it is: GIGABYTE SSD, 2,5" - 480GB).
I don't know if GIGABYTE is making lower quality SSD that are not recomended to be system drive..?