Choose a more secure router

I recently got a router from my ISP, which has an old firmware that is vulnerable to malware and hackers. So, I’ve been reading a lot about how to configure your router and how to choose a good router from a manufacturer who cares about its customers’ security. This is the best website on the subject:
http://routersecurity.org/.

If you want to start a business or if you want to start a freelancing career, this is the website to learn how to protect yourself from intruders into your network.

It took me some time to find this website, but it is the most comprehensive guide on the subject.

Hope this helps.

4 Likes

Excellent! Enjoyed the presentation very much, too. This should be widely known! I had what I thought was a fairly secure setup using a Linksys WRT 1900AC, but boy, after reading and watching this can see that I still got some holes. Will be rectifying that ASAP. Thank you for the link!

1 Like

I agree. :thumbsup:

The site is run by Michael Horowitz, who blogs on Defensive Computing at Computerworld. His Twitter account is worth following, IMHO, for web security related stuff. Links to both can be found at his personal website www.michaelhorowitz.com, that has a neat easily browsable index of his blog posts right there, on the front page.

1 Like

I use OpenWrt on my router and I think is great. I added some cool features like: when pressing a button, switch off the wifi interface. And also add a cron job to turn off wifi at night. Generally, it works better compared to the original firmware.

They also have a section with recommended routers: https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/recommended_routers

1 Like

Scan your home network with Nessus or OpenVas too. It is good to see if there are vulnerabilities to your router. Sometimes tweaking your router is useless if your firmware is faulty.

If anyone interested to buy a router before that research many router by getting help from youtube after that decide properly. I also have some information about att&t uverse login.