Choosing not to install Proprietary Graphics Drivers - What's missing?

Hi, I choose not to install the graphics drivers at install as I want to add the PPA to get the nvidia 430 drivers.

My question is - What else is missing by not choosing that option.

What do I need to install to get those missing items - post install

Thanks in advance

Regards Zeb...

While the best drivers for ATI and Intel graphics are open-source, the open-source nVidia driver is inferior to the proprietary nVidia drivers. To install them,

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa

The latest drivers should work fine on your 430.

Thank You Frederick, but that is not what I am asking. ps 430 was a ref to the latest Nvidia driver - my card is a GTX1070 Ti

I believe that option includes other drivers and multimedia codecs and stuff. By not choosing it now. What might not get installed.

ie what else does it install, other than proprietary drivers, if you do tick it.

Regards Zeb...

It'll install maybe a couple of libraries, the nVidia control center, and perhaps something else; I'm not quite sure. Multimedia codecs are available this way, and I'd strongly recommend you do this:

sudo apt install ubuntu-restricted-extras

That will allow you to play just about anything.

If you install the proprietary driver, it'll simply install the proprietary driver, nothing more (no codecs and such, which are installed with other packages). Otherwise, you'll be on Nouveau (the free/opensource nVidia driver), which is fine for desktop usage bur far too limited for games.

As for the version, you have to know that packages are not updated during the life cycle of an Ubuntu version (apart from a few specific exceptions), so right now, if you check the proprietary drivers manager in the Softwares & Updates app, you have access to the version of the driver that has been put in the Ubuntu repos at the time of the features freeze a few weeks/monthes ago. On Ubuntu 19.04, it seems to be v. 418.56 and will never be updated. You can use a 3rd-party repo like the Graphics Drivers PPA to easily have access to newer versions.

2 Likes

3D accelerated support is poor for several NVIDIA GeForce series as that's being held up until NVIDIA publishes the necessary signed firmware files for these newer GPUs.
The NvBoost support that's mainline with Linux 4.10 and beyond was of big help to the higher-end Kepler cards for squeezing out more performance. Again, it's not enabled by default but you need to boot the system with nouveau.config=NvBoost=2. Likewise, the re-clocking code in Nouveau isn't yet dynamic but you must manually re-clock your supported hardware for better performrsance.
So for now the bottom line is that Nvidia Drivers has far better 3D acceleration and better overall performance over the Noveau drivers

Thanks to everyone for their replies. I found out what I was looking for. I was not worried about the nVidia proprietary drivers. I knew it installed those but if you choose that option it also picks up on a number of media codecs and things. That is what I meant by my initial question, which on reflection, was poorly worded. Installing Ubuntu Restricted Extras after the install will suffice.

Kind Regards Zeb...