Chrome crashing on a regular basis

UM 16.04 MATE 1.14.1
Chrome crashing on a regular basis, usually when the computer is left idle for a few minutes, I come back and Chrome has crashed…

What do these apport log entries mean?

ERROR: apport (pid 22362) Tue Oct 18 21:59:38 2016: called for pid 5905, signal 11, core limit 0
ERROR: apport (pid 22362) Tue Oct 18 21:59:38 2016: executable: /opt/google/chrome/chrome (command line “/opt/google/chrome/chrome”)
ERROR: apport (pid 22362) Tue Oct 18 21:59:38 2016: is_closing_session(): no DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS in environment
ERROR: apport (pid 22362) Tue Oct 18 21:59:38 2016: apport: report /var/crash/_opt_google_chrome_chrome.1000.crash already exists and unseen, doing nothing to avoid disk usage DoS

Hi @psfal,

I don’t know what the Messages mean but have you run your System updates?, I assume it is Google Chrome you have installed right?:

1 Like

Thanks for your response @wolfman. I do update every week…I found the problem, I happened to be watching (I have dual displays) and when the Cosmos slideshow background changed pictures Chrome crashed…I changed to a single image background and it hasn’t happened since, I believe the issue is resolved though I haven’t the foggiest clue as to the reason why it was an issue since I run that background on other machines with no problem at all…That’s a brain teaser for someone else’s curious mind to investigate, at this point it’s no longer a concern to me

1 Like

That means process 5905 got killed with a SIGSEGV (Segmentation Fault), it tried to access memory that it didn’t own and then Linux killed it.

That probably means process 5905 was chrome at that point

That’s weird, can you check output of the following command:

env | grep DBUS

That means chrome already had a crash report sitting in /var/crash, and apport decided not to overwrite it to avoid stressing your disk uselessly
You can remove old crash reports using:

cd /var/crash
sudo rm -f *

Be careful to be in /var/crash when you issue the rm, cause it’s a dangerous command.

1 Like

Thanks for your response @ouroumov, I’ve changed the backgound from the Cosmos slideshow to a single image and I’ve not had Chrome crash since. This issue is resolved as far as I’m concerned

I was mistaken, it wasn’t the Cosmos slideshow background at all, though that didn’t help…when I thought it Chrome wouldn’t crash anymore, it did, and after updating my other machines it’s started on one of them too, started right after updating. The issue doesn’t appear when using Chromium, Firefox, or Opera, only with Chrome.
I did report it on the Chrome bug report form

I have the exact same problem - Chrome started crashing all the time without any apparent reason (other than software updates). And messages in apport.log are the same.

I too have two monitors, but no slideshow or screensavers.

Any ideas ?

I'm having the same problem, sometimes it crashes without any reason, I used to think that it was because I was running various projects at the same time and using chrome (web development) but sometimes it just crashes without any reason