Clock indicator wont appear 19.10

Hi,

The clock indicator suddenly stopped working and I'm out of ideas on how to fix it. When I run the service applet in a terminal I get this:

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/indicator-datetime/indicator-datetime-service

** (process:13852): WARNING **: 07:51:42.174: could not find the desktop file for 'org.gnome.Calendar.desktop'

(process:13852): Indicator-Datetime-WARNING **: 07:51:42.369: Unrecognized TZID: 'Etc/Utc'

(process:13852): Indicator-Datetime-WARNING **: 07:51:42.370: Unrecognized TZID: 'Etc/Utc'

(process:13852): Indicator-Datetime-WARNING : 07:51:42.382: Unrecognized TZID: 'Etc/Utc'
**
Indicator-Datetime:ERROR:/build/indicator-datetime-P60bPZ/indicator-datetime-15.10+19.10.20190819.1/src/date-time.cpp:171:GDateTime
unity::indicator::datetime::DateTime::get() const: assertion failed: (m_dt)
Bail out! Indicator-Datetime:ERROR:/build/indicator-datetime-P60bPZ/indicator-datetime-15.10+19.10.20190819.1/src/date-time.cpp:171:GDateTime
unity::indicator::datetime::DateTime::get() const: assertion failed: (m_dt)
Aborted (core dumped)

Any Ideas?

Note: I've upgraded to 19.10, this isn't a clean install. But the applet did work for a day before it randomly stopped at least.

Found the problem! Ashish Acharya's post toward the bottom of the page

There appears to be some sort of instability when relaying evolution calendars at some point. Although in my case I don't use google calendars and just am using DavCal to my own server. I have several of them. At some point the indicator crashed. Maybe I put one in with too many events for it to handle...

[EDIT]

It appears to be my Nextcloud DavCal Task list that is triggering the problem...I can live with turning it off for now. Still annoying :frowning:

1 Like

Same problem here on 19.10
Also related to tasks: disabling tasks subscriptions solved it.
But my DAV is Zimbra.

With further investigation, i found out that tasks will work from my DAV if i enable them in a "Collection Account".

At first after adding it this way, evolution would crash repeatedly, locking me out of the software all together, but opening it up from the calendar gave access to the settings in the evolution GUI. Here it complained something about the "on this computer" account.

So i tried disabling the "on this computer" account and it made it stable....

That only worked for one boot actually. Removing the tasks all together was the best option. But the indicator is crashing a lot, i keep getting crash reports for various things related to indicator. But the clock stays there now.