Close window shortcut & missing icon in top panel

Hello there! I move to Ubuntu Mate last week and Im very confortable with the desktop experience, in part because Im able to use compiz again.

I have two thigs that I coudnt resolve.

1. I can't close windows with Alt+F4. All the windows show in the File menu the shortcut Ctrl+Q (Figure 1). Is there a way to change this? I try to change the value of close action windows in the dconf-editor, but is alredy in the Alt+F4 value.

2. In my app-indicator (at the right of my top panel) appears sometimes a missing icon and when I click on it appears an empty menu (Figure 4). Sometimes the missing icon is gone and instead appears a second network icon (Figure 3). Its menu is subtly different to the original (Figure 2). Im posting an image!

Thanks!

Hi :slight_smile:
Are you sure your computer is not using the function keys F1 - F12 with the extra fn key ?
Means, on my lenovo computer, i need to Alt + fn + F4 to close a window.
This can be changed inside BIOS or just with Ctrl + Escape (in my case) to revert to regular function keys and not with the extra Fn key. This have been done to easily control brightness, media volume, ...

About your network indicator issue, I got it once with redshift indicator. Will reboot make it disappear - is it temporary ? or even after reboot it comes again ?

Hello there! I have checked it now. But, no; my extra Fn key is working fine. All the function keys (F1-12) works with no need to press the Fn.

With regard to the panel I will paying attention. Right now it is showing two network icons (each one have slightly different menu contents), as you can see in the picture.

I have upgrade the picture with the missing icon. It appeared just now meanwile i was working in libreoffice. All the programs were already open. It just appeared.

Try to give a small reboot to your computer :slight_smile: maybe it will help

@NicoBeno, welcome.

Can you check in 'Keyboard Shortcuts', if there is another action using same shortcut key combination (Alt+F4).

The two network indicators are from 'Indicator Applet Complete' (Fig.2) and 'Notification Area' (Fig.3). A logout-login should clear it (at it happened in my case) or a reboot should work as @olek mentioned.

Regarding missing icon in the panel indicator area, there is another thread with similar question. Personally, I have not seen one but I'm guessing it could be 'ayatana indicator application'. I could be wrong though.

Hi, @saivinob. You're right. A restart fixes the double network icon, but sometimes it appears again. The missing icon, by other hand, it is there even in at a fresh reboot.

Regard the Alt+F4 command, there is nothing designated with this command in the Keyboard Shortcut configuration. But... I founded in the dConf Editor two different close actions associated with this command. Alt+F4 is designated to:

1. org/gnome/desktop/wm/keybindings/close
  2. org/mate/marco/window-keybindings/close

Is this ok? I try to search in the dConf Editor tool if is there annother action asossiated with this Alt+F4 command, but, unfortunatly, dConf Editor search doesnt search by command (or value). It only searches by action.

@NicoBeno, are both showing Alt+F4 as 'set' value or just 'default' value? Not showing as 'disabled'? On my PC, I have as follows

sai@sai-HP-Laptop-14-bs0xx:~$ gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.wm.keybindings close
['<Alt>F4']
sai@sai-HP-Laptop-14-bs0xx:~$ gsettings get org.mate.Marco.window-keybindings close
'<Alt>F4'

And with this setting, Alt+F4 is working as expected i.e., closes current window. I was thinking Alt+F4 was assigned to some other action.

I may sound silly but just to confirm, have you actually tried to press Alt+F4 but the current window does not close or you see 'Ctrl+Q' in File menu and are thinking Alt+F4 does not work?

I'm out of ideas at this point :grimacing:

@saivinob, in my PC the values appears just like yours. Both are "defaoult" values:

> ginko@ginko:~$ gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.wm.keybindings close
> ['<Alt>F4']
> ginko@ginko:~$ gsettings get org.mate.Marco.window-keybindings close
> '<Alt>F4'

Is not silly; when I press the Alt+F4 combination nothing happens. But, Ctl+Q does close the windows. I also think Alt+F4 was assigned to some other action, but I really don't know how to find the conflict.

Lets wait, maybe somebody knows this issue, jeje.

Excellent, @saivinob. I founded the problem thanks to you!

The problem was caused by compiz (detail that I missed). The values in the gConf Editor was "disabled". I find the rout /org/compiz/profiles/mate/plugins/core/close-window-key and replace the value by '<Alt>F4'. Now all the windows can be closed by the Alt+F4 combination. Maybe compiz has priority over marco.

By the way, if somebody wants to search an action in the gsettings (or dConf Editor) by the value (or key combination), this trick worked for me:

In a terminal save the results of the command "gsettings list-recursively" in a text file like this:

gsettings list-recursively > hello.txt

Now, open the hello.txt file in gedit like this:

gedit hello.txt

That file contails all the actions and key commands (values). Now, search the value like in a text editor.

Thanks a lot, @saivinob!

1 Like

@NicoBeno, welcome and thanks to you. Learnt new things about Compiz and gsettings. :smiley: