Compiz Alt-Tab Low Resolution Icons

This has been a long standing problem with Compiz and may be outside of the scop of Mate, but when using the alt-tab switcher Compiz displays horrible low resolution icons for minimized windows. Is there a work around or alternate solution for this issue?

I'd love to use the old Unity alt-tab swticher with those giant glorious icons, but from what I've been able to find that doesn't seem to be something that is in the cards.

Thank you for any help you guys can provide.

Scott Moreau (soreau) from freenode might be able to answer that better. He resides on Freenode IRC, usually in #compiz-reloaded (even though that is for an entirely separate project involving Compiz 0.8).

I have a guide written about Compiz 0.8, but don't entirely recommend following it yet as 19.04 has some super weird stuff that appears to make installing and removing it difficult. That or a contributor broke his script, IDK. ATM I would either stick with older copies of Ubuntu or test in a live session and report issues to him before downgrading Compiz where there may be more features (and configurable thumbnail icon size in CCSM, maybe).

Thanks for the response. I'll read your tutorial and see what's what. Much appreciated.

We can change apparence of image or icons displayed by compiz when alt-tab. The settings are well hiding in compiz manager.

1 Like

Interesting. I look around in the settings, but didn't find anything that allowed me to do that? What section of the Compiz manager is it under? Thanks.

Play with settings, uncheck minimize here:
https://www.randomhacks.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/changing_the_behavior_of_ubuntu_unity_applicaiton_switcher_4.png

1 Like

Thank you. I played with that setting, but I can't use it as I want Alt-Tab to be able to cylce through and potentially bring up minimized windows. I'll keep messing around and see if I come up with an answer.

There are several "applications switcher" in compiz. Which do you use?

I use the default one that is activated when using the Tweak tool to select Compiz. It appears like the traditional horizontal list of applications. I did try the others such as the ring switcher, but they all seem to show low res icons.

I played also with settings in order to get a better quality of icons from minimized windows. Fail. When I give up, I found that is a bug and not clear if fixed, but it seems not in our system:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/hundredpapercuts/+bug/387828