Compiz with weird gtk decorator? [solved]

Hello all.
I compiled and installed compiz 0.8x . GTK window decoration is missing on some applications. I tried changing metacity keys using dconf editor but that doesn't work.
so, how to enable GTK window titles in all applications?

Wath version of mate are you using ? (And Gtk version)
With wath options did you configure compiz reloaded when compiling ? Here are mine :

NOCONFIGURE=1 ./autogen.sh
  ./configure  --prefix=/usr \
--enable-shared \
--enable-dbus \
--enable-dbus-glib \
--enable-librsvg \
--enable-glib \
--disable-static \
--disable-inotify \
--enable-marco \
--with-gtk=3.0

For the borders open ccsm and go to decororations plugin and check if the option for windows to have decoration is ’ any ’ . Enable the workaournds plugin and check qt window fix . This should do for the titles .

mate version : 1.14.1

GTK :
libgtk-3-0:amd64 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.1
libgtk2.0-0:amd64 2.24.30-1ubuntu1

I am recompiling it with this:
    the following optional plugins will be compiled:
      glib:                    yes
      dbus:                    yes
      annotate:                yes
      svg:                     yes
      inotify:                 no
      fuse:                    no
      matecompat:              yes
      and the following optional features will be used:
      gtk:                       yes (3.0)
      marco:                     yes
      gwd gsettings support:     yes
      desktop menu entries:      no

now I get no window borders :sweat:

when running gtk-window-decorator --replace , I am getting like this:

arun@arun-pc:~$ gtk-window-decorator --replace

(gtk-window-decorator:22479): Gtk-ERROR **: GTK+ 2.x symbols detected. Using GTK+ 2.x and GTK+ 3 in the same process is not supported
Trace/breakpoint trap
arun@arun-pc:~$ compiz-decorator --replace

(gtk-window-decorator:22746): Gtk-ERROR **: GTK+ 2.x symbols detected. Using GTK+ 2.x and GTK+ 3 in the same process is not supported
Trace/breakpoint trap

Do not use the gtk3 flag when compiling . This is for marco-gtk3 support . The error shows that gtk-decorator tries to use marco-gtk2 bindings witch gtk3 can’t understand. if you want gtk3 on mate-gtk2 disable marco support. Or you can use emerald 0.8 reloaded wich has ambience theme.

I used your configuration which enabled gtk with version 3.0 . So, How to enable gtk3 for Marco alone ? Does Marco support gtk 3 or should I stick with gtk 2.0 ?

enabled marco and removed --with gtk . now I got window decorations from marco . are those gtk 2.0 decorations ?

Let me explain it to you . Mate is migrating to gtk3 becouse gtk2 is a realy old framework . Currently the Ubuntu Mate 16.06 comes with the gtk2 version of mate becouse mate build againts gtk3 is considered unstable for the moment . The new release Ubuntu Mate 16.10 will come with mate build againts gtk3 (It is currently in beta ) . Marco gtk2 can decorate Gtk 3 windows . The reason i use compiz-decorator compiled with gtk3 is that I use Manjaro and I am using Mate 1.15 Gtk3 version . And if I build compiz-decorator againts gtk2 with marco support it will trow me the same error you have since Gtk3 does not understand Gtk2.
AND FINALY . Yes they are gtk2 decorations .

2 Likes