Composed letters with qwerty keyboard

Hello,
I’m in France and installed Ubuntu Mate 16.04 on an old Dell Vostro 1700 with qwerty keyboard. Have offered this laptop to a friend, but we cannot figure out how to write composed letters (like the e with ', or the c with the , at the bottom).
I have installed the keyboard as american english with € sign at the 5.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
Esther

You can install one more language (French) and toggle between the two. Control Panel | Keyboard | Layouts … add a language … then Options … Switching to another layout … select how to toggle between the two languages (I use left shift left ctrl) close, close, close and notice on your panel there is en (English) and fr (french). Click on them toggle the language, try with your keyboard as well.

You can also bring up the Character Map (in Accessories) and copy the e with the accent (é) to your clipboard, then to your document.

Hope this helps.

In the keyboard settings screen you can modify your layout to add a Compose key. I typically use the US English keyboard (since I live in the US), but then I make the Compose key be the Right Alt so that I can type in other languages.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your answer. It took me a while to try it out, but just did it and it works really easily and perfectly well.