Conflict when using Software Boutique

Hopefully @anon42388993, @lah7, @DaveB, @wolfman, @stevecook172001 or many of the other learned members will have input for this - I'm relatively new to MATE and might have made incorrect conclusions.
I'm testing virtualization on UM 16 and decided to install Oracle's
Virtual Box using MATE's Software Boutique and received these two conflicting messages
I possibly closed the message box prematurely preventing the package from installing

So I went to Oracle's site, downloaded the package which produced this upon install
This is seemingly an obvious conflict to my previously observed behavior.

Installed just fine after closing the suggestion box.

Hi Peter,

the first pic would show when you are installing 3rd party software I would say, if you don’t agree to the agreements which normally come with such software, it won’t install, simple as that really!. :smiley:

The 2nd pic speaks for itself, it means that you are advised to use the software packages which are available directly from the Ubuntu repo’s as opposed to using a 3rd party package downloaded from an external source!. :smiley:

2 Likes

first pic had no options other than close :disappointed: - I adjusted software sources to accept untrusted and still this was the result.

2nd pic I agree however Ubuntu’s repo failed to install - catch 22.:frowning2:

Bottom line I installed after closing the 2nd pic and all went well. :grin:

1 Like

The first screenshot suggests the Oracle VirtualBox Signing Key from the PPA didn’t add successfully. Without that signing key, packages have no way to verify they are from that source and haven’t been tampered with. Adding PPAs does this under the hood.

The second screenshot is because the open source version of VirtualBox is available from the official Ubuntu repositories. This message is just suggesting it’s better to use that one as it’s been tested for Ubuntu (but usually some versions behind).

3 Likes

Sounds like a problem with the Boutique and its installation of Virtualbox. Not to worry, you did just fine installing the latest version from the Virtualbox website and ignoring the message about other versions in the repositories.

As it happens, I always install the latest version directly from the website.

2 Likes

@stevecook172001 is right, this error is caused by the Boutique’s repository information about VirtualBox. A new 2016 signing key is needed:

1 Like

@lah7 \o/ I am on a roll… first solved the install issue for Minecraft and now this one :wink:

2 Likes