Corrupt Desktop after Resume from Suspend

Several times I’ve had a corrupt desktop after resuming from my PC being in Suspend mode, all the text is corrupted and the mouse pointer is not visible but if I move my mouse around I can see where it is because whatever it is above will pop up like if I move it to the bottom I will see the Docky Icons pop up and if I move it up I can see where it is because the icons on the panels will appear as the mouse is moved over them but then disappear once the mouse pointer is moved past them. Luckily I have the GNOME Main Menu Icon installed on the panel and I was able to figure out which icon is for Log Out and chose Log out then I log in as Guest Session log that out and log back into my user account, simply Switching User does not fix the problem. This is not as bad as having to do a Ctrl F-4 and then Ctrl Alt Del to shutdown but it does pose problem if I happen to have a unsaved Document open or Virtual Box running Windows XP since Logging out closes any open programs and if I can’t see the mouse pointer to be able to save a open files or shutdown Windows XP in Virtual Box that will be a problem but I guess I could always just shutdown Windows XP and close Virtual Box before suspending Linux but I should not have to do that the OS should not have a problem with such a common function.
Is there a way in a command Prompt (like when you do a Ctrl Alt F-4 )the force Linux to restart the GUI without logging out the current user or closing or killing all running programs and how Do I get a Command Prompt full screen after hitting Ctrl Alt F-4 ? When I hit Ctrl Alt F-4 all I get is a black screen same with Ctrl Alt F-1 through F-6 and Ctrl Alt F8 through F-12 I know that hitting Ctrl Alt F-7 brings back up the Desktop GUI but that does not fix the corrupt video problem.

This sort of thing will be vary by hardware:

• What system is it?
  • Does it have a graphics card?
  • If so, which drivers are in use?

I’ve seen funky looking glitched desktops before (years ago), but I don’t think they’re the same that I saw.

Is it possible for you to take a screenshot with Print Scr? (Press Enter to save, usually home folder).

To answer your question, no. Applications are like a hierarchy of chains. If the main GUI processes are killed (like lightdm), so are all the applications you’ve got open.

To restart the desktop, you may be able to X zap with CTRL+ALT+Backspace, not sure if it’s still enabled by default, and this will destroy the session.

Otherwise, it can be restarted by the terminal without the need to restart the computer:

sudo service lightdm restart

It’s a Asus Motherboard with built in graphics I don’t know what graphics chip set it uses because there is not system info program that I know of to install and I lost the manual for the Motherboard. It’s some kind of Intel Graphics Chip Set.

Run this command to find out what graphics are in use:

inxi -G

There’s also System Profiler & Benchmark, a graphical tool which can be installed from Welcome → Getting Started → System Specs → Utilites

Graphics: Card: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
Display Server: X.Org 1.18.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: [email protected]
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Desktop
GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.0

Release 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus) 64-bit
Kernel Linux 4.4.0-28-generic x86_64
MATE 1.12.1
Memory: 3.5 GiB
Processor: Intel® Core™ i3-3220 CPU @ 3.30GHz × 4

I just installed Home Bank and hope this will allow me to remove Virtual Box that I run Windows XP on because it seems to cause the problems with corrupt graphics and loss of the Mouse pointer, I use it to run Quicken 2004 and nothing else.

Hi @daldude,

although this won’t solve your suspend problem, I can really only recommend simply logging out and not using Suspend as it has been a constant thorn in the Ubuntu users side for a while now!. :smiley: