Could Someone Give me Advice on Optimizing Ubuntu Mate Performance?

Hello there,

I am currently using Ubuntu Mate on my system, and while I find it to be a great operating system, I am looking for ways to optimize its performance further.

I primarily use my system for development work, running IDEs, and occasionally for light gaming. However, I have noticed that the system can sometimes feel a bit sluggish, especially when multitasking or running resource-intensive applications.

I have already tried some basic optimizations like disabling unnecessary startup applications and enabling the Compton compositor for smoother window transitions. I have also checked for any driver updates using the "Software & Updates" tool.

Also, I have gone through this: https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/why-ubuntu-22-04-is-so-fast-and-how-to-make-it-faster/30369aws which definitely helped me out a lot.

I would love to hear from the community about any additional tweaks or optimizations that could help improve the overall performance of Ubuntu Mate. Whether it's specific settings, additional software, or even hardware upgrades, I am open to suggestions.

Thankyou in advance for your help and assistance.

Hi,

IMHO an old (and working) rule of thumb is to get a fast video card and plenty of RAM. CPU speed is of relatively minor importance, i.e. except for compute intensive CG.

Regards!

2 Likes

This is a very loaded subject......but, ok I'll bite. :slight_smile:

You start with:

And then:

My first question to you is: Which of these two highly different and conflicting points do you want to optimize ? Besides that, it even gets more complicated because there is more to it than only these two points.

These are the things that you could potentially optimize for:

1. throughput: The most amount of work done per timeunit

2. latency: the shortest time between input and output
    Most important in e.g. real-time music creation, process control and live events.

3. GUI response time: Often deemed unimportant on machine or serverlevel but can be very important if user-interaction is as important as the process itself (example: gaming) or even more important (example: wordprocessing).
    Optimizing for GUI responsetime is, although related, not the same as optimizing for low latency

Beware that optimizing one thing will often cause degration in another (but not always).

So, what will it be ?
Latency ? Throughput ? or GUI-responsetime ?

2 Likes