Couple of Bugs in MATE Tweak + Welcome, can anyone reproduce?

Hi

Two things I’ve noticed while helping a friend set up Ubuntu MATE on his laptop this afternoon.

• Right after install if you go to MATE Tweak -> Interface and check (in that specific order) “Enable Launcher”, then “Enable Indicators”, something very weird happens: the bottom panel gets stuck right under the top panel
  • In Welcome, if you skip the Update and go right to drivers (right - you’re not supposed to do that, but well… it’s possible so why not?), and click on “Install Firmware Package”, the updater throws and error because the package list is not up to date. This could easily be fixed by running apt update first?

If someone else can reproduce, that’d be nice. I’ve noticed this on two machines but I’d like another user to witness it too.

Cheers

Edit: forgot to mention: this is under Ubuntu MATE 16.04 with the normal MATE 1.12

Edit: possibly found an easier way to reproduce the MATE Tweak one, see here.

Sorry, I couldn’t reproduce this. The panel reloaded normally, so it’s possible it was just a hiccup on that system.

This is because linux-firmware-nonfree was chucked out days before release – there wasn’t enough time :frowning: – Welcome would have to be updated either:

• during installation.
  • after first boot.
  • or by subscribing to Welcome updates. (Plus, gets latest developments ;))
1 Like

And it is still missing @lah7 but you (anybody) can get it here .

1 Like

Here is the bug report responsible for that drop out.

This is a description of what it contained:

This package provides non-free firmware used by Linux kernel drivers.

Most of the firmware in this package is for television tuner cards. However,
non-free firmware for other classes of devices are provided as well.

1 Like

OK In a virtual environment

Right after install if you go to MATE Tweak -> Interface and check (in that specific order) “Enable Launcher”, then “Enable Indicators”, something very weird happens: the bottom panel gets stuck right under the top panel

Not observed

In Welcome, if you skip the Update and go right to drivers (right - you’re not supposed to do that, but well… it’s possible so why not?), and click on “Install Firmware Package”, the updater throws and error because the package list is not up to date. This could easily be fixed
by running apt update first?

Package does not exist message returned

@lah7, @pfeiffep about the first one did you try it on a new system?
Reason I mentioned it’s a fresh install is because if, having checked those box in the other order, I blank them and check them again in the trigger order - nothing happens. Basically it only happens the very first time those checkboxes are used afaik.
The only thing non-standard about my installation of the OS was that I used the Ubuntu MATE 16.04 Daily live (from something like a week ago) to avoid having to much updates to do post-install.

Yes, that’s what I intended to say with in a virtual environment.
I did notice a momentary glitch in the desktop environment, however it wasn’t long enough to confirm without doubt your observation. I initially thought that the “bottom panel” moved to the top, however when I double checked the bottom panel was at the bottom

Yep, I tested this in a live session (release 16.04) on a virtual machine. I suppose that panel glitch could be caused by something external … certain resolutions… graphic drivers…?

I've just reproduced the bug on a third machine, they all had different screen resolutions.

This time it wasn't following a clean install, I just created a new user, logged in, then immediately headed over to MATE Tweak -> Interface and checked the two boxes:

It looks like a bug caused “out of the box” on your copy of Ubuntu MATE, since neither me or @pfeiffep could confirm with the release copy of 16.04. Unless, it is caused by the latest updates or from that week…

You say you’re using the daily image from a week ago… Is this from here? If so, this actually 16.10 (Yakkety), the development release. You can check your version by typing:

lsb_release -a

It was this image: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-mate/xenial/daily-live/current/

ouroumov@HardBall:~/Desktop$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:    Ubuntu
Description:    Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
Release:    16.04
Codename:    xenial

I’ll try to reproduce the symptoms described with the 16.04 daily image.
Please confirm 64-bit PC (AMD64) desktop image with date 21-Jun-2016 04:15

I confirm it’s the xenial-desktop-amd64.iso but as I said, it was the build from a week ago. I don’t think the exact image can be recovered.

Did you try creating a new user and testing there?
Cheers

I followed your link and downloaded the exact image … I’m in the process now of installing the latest Virtual Box

What’s with the new user? That’s not in your OP.

Indeed, it’s from this one reply.

[quote=“ouroumov, post:9, topic:6972”]
This time it wasn’t following a clean install, I just created a new user, logged in, then immediately headed over to MATE Tweak -> Interface and checked the two boxes:
[/quote]OK which is more important to you for me to test? … my focus thus far has been on a fresh install as described in your OP

Try the new user route since it appears the clean install is not necessary to reproduce (at least on my machines)

Still installing … steps to follow?

1 - reboot after install
2 - immediately create new user [normal or admin?]
3 - log out and log back in as new user
4 - MATE Tweak > Interface and check 2 boxes

Step 2: normal user is fine. Actually I just created it and did not specify either “Desktop User” or admin so the account type is now “Custom”

Step 4: the checking of the boxes has to happen in a specific order:

• First the “Enable Launcher”
  • Second the “Enable Indicators”

Done! … I added logout to the top panel after creating a custom user

After enable indicators I noticed the bottom menu switched to underneath the top for about 1 second then immediately switched back to the bottom. This occurred immediately after the second box was checked - it reverted to normal position without any action from me.

I always thought daily images were not ready for prime time even after the official release date - I wait for the point release for actual installs.

Comment not associated with the test… This image displayed a symptom similar to the 16.10 daily image; at the point when test keyboard is displayed the image is larger than the display area and the arrow keys won’t move it so the continue button is displayed. I used tab and enter to blindly continue.