CRITICAL! Still unable to startup orca at the login screen

Hi all, I'll keep this simple.

Basically, for anyone running 22.04 LTS or latest six month release. Do the following.

Once you hear the bongo sound at the login screen, press ALT Windows plus the letter S. Does the Orca screen reader startup?

If yes, then please tell me how on earth it is fixed because ever since the releases after 20.04 LTS. It has been broken.

Note: can test on a live ISO by signing out of session then pressing said keystrokes to startup orca and again to turn the screen reader off.

I bring this up because 20.04 LTS is (end of life) next April and this is very concerning it still not being addressed in 22.04 LTS.

Thank you for reading and here's to hoping this gets looked into ASAP for our screen reader users.!

3 Likes

Hi, @MR-Keys.

(Usual disclaimer: please note that I'm just another Forum user here, I'm NOT an Ubuntu Developer and/or Ubuntu MATE Developer).

As far as I can tell, you're absolutely right, unfortunately: the "Alt + Windows key + S" key (also known as "Alt + Super + S") key combination / shortcut is not working, in the logon screen, to launch the Orca Screen Reader in "Ubuntu MATE 22.04". At least, it's not working for me in my laptop computer that I upgraded from Ubuntu MATE 20.04.5 LTS ("Focal Fossa") to Ubuntu MATE 22.04.1 LTS ("Jammy Jellyfish") about two months ago.

I've found the following directly related bug, reported by @Norbert_X in Launchpad, on 9th April 2021 (2021-04-09), for Ubuntu MATE 20.10 and 21.04:

A few minutes ago, I've marked that bug as also affecting me and I've added the following comment in that bug web page:

I'm guessing that it may be a good idea to also open an "Issue" in the "Issues"page of the "arctica-greeter" repository in "GitHub":

I hope this reply of mine was useful, in some way.

2 Likes

Hi again, @MR-Keys .

Following up to my previous reply in this same Topic / Discussion: I've opened, a few minutes ago, the following "Issue" in the "arctica-greeter" Issues page in the "GitHub" repository. Let's see if I get a reply.

1 Like